Katharine McPhee on waiting to start a family: I'm selfish right now
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 14
- Photo: The Star Catcher/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 14
- Photo: Felipe Ramales/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 14
- Photo: JUSTIN CAMPBELL/StarTraks4 of 14
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/.5 of 14
- Photo: JUSTIN CAMPBELL/StarTraks6 of 14
- Photo: Premiere/DMac/Fame Flynet7 of 14
- Photo: LEON/GSI8 of 14
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage9 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage10 of 14
- Photo: RWO/WENN11 of 14
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP12 of 14
- Photo: WENN13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Mega Buzz: The Grey's Finale, a Mentalist Proposal, and a Castle Time WarpMSNEntertainment 4/15/2014 4:35:00 PM
- Cinedigm Acquires Frank P. DeLarzelere III Documentary 'Biker Fox'MSNEntertainment 4/15/2014 4:11:00 PM
- Artie Lange Hospitalized for Diabetic ShockMSNEntertainment 4/15/2014 4:09:00 PM
- CNN's Sanjay Gupta on Deadly Ebola Outbreak in Africa; Whether It Could Spread to U.S.MSNEntertainment 4/15/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Transcendence' Director Wally Pfiester on 'Frustrating' TechnolMSNEntertainment 4/15/2014 3:51:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: The Grey's Finale, a Mentalist Proposal, and a Castle Time Warp
Katharine McPhee isn't where she thought she'd be in 2013 -- because where she ended up is so much better!
The "Smash" star appears on the February cover of Lucky wearing a vibrant Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti ensemble and Christian Louboutin heels. In the accompanying interview, McPhee, 28, explains why she hasn't started a family with her husband of nearly five years, Nick Cokas, 46.
"I once thought that by now I'd have lots of children, but actually I'm really enjoying being able to go from point A to point B and the only worry I have is have my dogs been walked," the "American Idol" runner-up says. "I'm selfish right now, but that's how and where I should be. The thing is, work is the thing I love the most."
Children may not be on the horizon for a long time, McPhee adds. "In five years, I'd love to have done a play and a few movies, and of course I know 'Smash' keeps going."
McPhee is, after all, still adjusting to life in the Big Apple. "I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I hated living in New York for the first six months," the former L.A.-based star admits. Over time, the "Over It" singer learned to love city living. "I couldn't really put my finger on it. There's so much diversity on the streets here," she says of Manhattan's varied culture. "You get to leave work behind when you leave; not everyone is an actor."
Even so, performing will always be McPhee's first love. "When you're on a show like ['Smash'], one that requires so much singing, you have to be really protective of your instrument," she tells Lucky. "You don't get to just, like, go out and party all night."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
MTV Red Carpet
Get a front-row seat to the 2014 MTV Movie Awards with Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Cindy Crawford and Vanessa Hudgens show their siblings some love on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon debuts his latest hairstyle -- a skunk-colored ‘do -- on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite