Katharine McPhee on waiting to start a family: I'm selfish right now
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 14
- Photo: The Star Catcher/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 14
- Photo: Felipe Ramales/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 14
- Photo: JUSTIN CAMPBELL/StarTraks4 of 14
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/.5 of 14
- Photo: JUSTIN CAMPBELL/StarTraks6 of 14
- Photo: Premiere/DMac/Fame Flynet7 of 14
- Photo: LEON/GSI8 of 14
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage9 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage10 of 14
- Photo: RWO/WENN11 of 14
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP12 of 14
- Photo: WENN13 of 14
More Celeb News
- ESPN reverses course, to allow Catholic group's adMSNEntertainment 12/13/2013 11:00:19 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 8:27 a.m. ESTMSNEntertainment 12/13/2013 3:53:18 AM
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (PossibMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 3:18:15 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'Porcelain Horse' Writer-Director on the 'ExpecMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:39 PM
- Award-Winning Producers to Finance Documentary About Forgotten Film Legend (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:13 PM
- ESPN reverses course, to allow Catholic group's ad
Katharine McPhee isn't where she thought she'd be in 2013 -- because where she ended up is so much better!
The "Smash" star appears on the February cover of Lucky wearing a vibrant Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti ensemble and Christian Louboutin heels. In the accompanying interview, McPhee, 28, explains why she hasn't started a family with her husband of nearly five years, Nick Cokas, 46.
"I once thought that by now I'd have lots of children, but actually I'm really enjoying being able to go from point A to point B and the only worry I have is have my dogs been walked," the "American Idol" runner-up says. "I'm selfish right now, but that's how and where I should be. The thing is, work is the thing I love the most."
Children may not be on the horizon for a long time, McPhee adds. "In five years, I'd love to have done a play and a few movies, and of course I know 'Smash' keeps going."
McPhee is, after all, still adjusting to life in the Big Apple. "I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I hated living in New York for the first six months," the former L.A.-based star admits. Over time, the "Over It" singer learned to love city living. "I couldn't really put my finger on it. There's so much diversity on the streets here," she says of Manhattan's varied culture. "You get to leave work behind when you leave; not everyone is an actor."
Even so, performing will always be McPhee's first love. "When you're on a show like ['Smash'], one that requires so much singing, you have to be really protective of your instrument," she tells Lucky. "You don't get to just, like, go out and party all night."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Kristen Stewart, Paula Abdul, and Kim Kardashian all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
"Shah's of Sunset" star Asa Soltan talks about this season's drama, possible wedding bells with her boyfriend and more.Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
Find out why Lena Dunham, Jaden Smith, and Rihanna need fashion resolutions for 2014.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "That '70s Show" is up to today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHot Hayden
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite