Katharine McPhee on waiting to start a family: I'm selfish right now
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 14
- Photo: The Star Catcher/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 14
- Photo: Felipe Ramales/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 14
- Photo: JUSTIN CAMPBELL/StarTraks4 of 14
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/.5 of 14
- Photo: JUSTIN CAMPBELL/StarTraks6 of 14
- Photo: Premiere/DMac/Fame Flynet7 of 14
- Photo: LEON/GSI8 of 14
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage9 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage10 of 14
- Photo: RWO/WENN11 of 14
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP12 of 14
- Photo: WENN13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Cheryl Cole Reunites With Simon Cowell for 'X Factor' UKMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:34:00 PM
- Fox Reorganizes Development and Programming DepartmentsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Dan Harmon and Mitch Hurwitz Are Working on a Super-Secret ProjectMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Sean Combs Bids Reported $200 Million for Fuse TV NetworkMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:12:00 PM
- Psych's James Roday to Star in CBS Relationship Comedy PilotMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:07:00 PM
- Cheryl Cole Reunites With Simon Cowell for 'X Factor' UK
Katharine McPhee isn't where she thought she'd be in 2013 -- because where she ended up is so much better!
The "Smash" star appears on the February cover of Lucky wearing a vibrant Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti ensemble and Christian Louboutin heels. In the accompanying interview, McPhee, 28, explains why she hasn't started a family with her husband of nearly five years, Nick Cokas, 46.
"I once thought that by now I'd have lots of children, but actually I'm really enjoying being able to go from point A to point B and the only worry I have is have my dogs been walked," the "American Idol" runner-up says. "I'm selfish right now, but that's how and where I should be. The thing is, work is the thing I love the most."
Children may not be on the horizon for a long time, McPhee adds. "In five years, I'd love to have done a play and a few movies, and of course I know 'Smash' keeps going."
McPhee is, after all, still adjusting to life in the Big Apple. "I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I hated living in New York for the first six months," the former L.A.-based star admits. Over time, the "Over It" singer learned to love city living. "I couldn't really put my finger on it. There's so much diversity on the streets here," she says of Manhattan's varied culture. "You get to leave work behind when you leave; not everyone is an actor."
Even so, performing will always be McPhee's first love. "When you're on a show like ['Smash'], one that requires so much singing, you have to be really protective of your instrument," she tells Lucky. "You don't get to just, like, go out and party all night."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Oscar nominee Lupita Nyong’o shares her awards season journey (and meetings with Oprah, Sidney Poitier and the Dalai Lama!) on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Drunk In Love
Jessica Simpon, Gisele Bundchen and more celebs share intimate pics of their partners on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite