Kathy Bates Secretly Battled Ovarian Cancer
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Castle Rock Entertainment/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: New Line Cinema/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Warner Bros. Reverses Course, Allows Viral Lego "Everything Is Awesome" Parody ProMSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 12:22:00 PM
- Pivot Greenlights 'Please Like Me' Season 3; 'Freestyle Love Supreme&MSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 12:11:00 PM
- 'Harry Potter' Star Dave Legeno Found Dead at 50MSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 12:02:00 PM
- Harry Potter Actor Dave Legeno Dies at 50MSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 11:58:00 AM
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Tracking for $60 Million OpeningMSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 11:44:00 AM
- Warner Bros. Reverses Course, Allows Viral Lego "Everything Is Awesome" Parody Pro
Kathy Bates was in a fight for her life over eight years ago -- but no one knew.
On Tuesday, the Oscar-winning actress, now 63, opened up to Anderson Cooper on his show, "Anderson," about a private battle with ovarian cancer, one she took pains not to share with the public.
"I was advised to," the "Harry's Law" star explains. "I was contracted to go into a movie at that time, 'Little Black Book,' with Brittany Murphy, who I miss very much," she says of the 2004 romantic comedy starring the late Murphy, who died in December 2009 at age 32.
"But my doctors at the time, they had to get insurance approval and all of that, so I was very quiet about it. I had to go back to work right away," Bates adds, explaining that she underwent chemotherapy treatments "by myself ... I guess it's something I felt I had to face on my own."
Continues the "Misery" actress: "Nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family is supportive and surrounds you."
Although Bates doesn't regret the decision to stay private, she admits, "If I go through it again, I think I would be a lot more open about it." And she applauds Hollywood stars who've shared their cancer battles with the world: "I admire people who have been open like Melissa Ethridge and women I see walking around facing it with out wigs and all of that stuff. I think I would be more courageous next time."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
Kristen Stewart, Kate Hudson, and Jennifer Lopez all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out the many women who have been wooed by George Clooney over the years.Watch Video »
Reese Witherspoon shares photos of her burgeoning friendship with Sofia Vergara on Instagram on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna shows her softer, sweeter side -- plus a newfound maternal instinct! -- on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStaying Positive
From Crowd Ignite