Kathy Bates Secretly Battled Ovarian Cancer
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Castle Rock Entertainment/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: New Line Cinema/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its VideosMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:42:00 PM
- TV Presidents Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis Dreyfus Tangle With 'Fargo's' BilMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:40:00 PM
- NBC's 'Aquarius' Books 'The Originals' Alum Claire HoltMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Will Be Darker and 'a Lot Less PatiMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:12:00 PM
- 'The Simpsons' Producer James L. Brooks Signs With WMEMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its Videos
Kathy Bates was in a fight for her life over eight years ago -- but no one knew.
On Tuesday, the Oscar-winning actress, now 63, opened up to Anderson Cooper on his show, "Anderson," about a private battle with ovarian cancer, one she took pains not to share with the public.
"I was advised to," the "Harry's Law" star explains. "I was contracted to go into a movie at that time, 'Little Black Book,' with Brittany Murphy, who I miss very much," she says of the 2004 romantic comedy starring the late Murphy, who died in December 2009 at age 32.
"But my doctors at the time, they had to get insurance approval and all of that, so I was very quiet about it. I had to go back to work right away," Bates adds, explaining that she underwent chemotherapy treatments "by myself ... I guess it's something I felt I had to face on my own."
Continues the "Misery" actress: "Nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family is supportive and surrounds you."
Although Bates doesn't regret the decision to stay private, she admits, "If I go through it again, I think I would be a lot more open about it." And she applauds Hollywood stars who've shared their cancer battles with the world: "I admire people who have been open like Melissa Ethridge and women I see walking around facing it with out wigs and all of that stuff. I think I would be more courageous next time."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite