Kathy Bates Secretly Battled Ovarian Cancer
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Castle Rock Entertainment/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: New Line Cinema/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Kerry Washington, Miley Cyrus, Benedict Cumberbatch Among Time's 100 Most Influential PeoplMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 8:05:00 AM
- Kevin Clash, Voice of Elmo, Cleared of Sex Abuse ChargesMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 6:57:00 AM
- Review: 'Hearthstone' card game is the real dealMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 5:46:01 AM
- Thursday Review: Bad Teacher, Black Box, Hulu's Moone BoyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:00:00 AM
- American Idol: Who Blew the Judges Away?MSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 7:31:00 PM
- Kerry Washington, Miley Cyrus, Benedict Cumberbatch Among Time's 100 Most Influential Peopl
Kathy Bates was in a fight for her life over eight years ago -- but no one knew.
On Tuesday, the Oscar-winning actress, now 63, opened up to Anderson Cooper on his show, "Anderson," about a private battle with ovarian cancer, one she took pains not to share with the public.
"I was advised to," the "Harry's Law" star explains. "I was contracted to go into a movie at that time, 'Little Black Book,' with Brittany Murphy, who I miss very much," she says of the 2004 romantic comedy starring the late Murphy, who died in December 2009 at age 32.
"But my doctors at the time, they had to get insurance approval and all of that, so I was very quiet about it. I had to go back to work right away," Bates adds, explaining that she underwent chemotherapy treatments "by myself ... I guess it's something I felt I had to face on my own."
Continues the "Misery" actress: "Nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family is supportive and surrounds you."
Although Bates doesn't regret the decision to stay private, she admits, "If I go through it again, I think I would be a lot more open about it." And she applauds Hollywood stars who've shared their cancer battles with the world: "I admire people who have been open like Melissa Ethridge and women I see walking around facing it with out wigs and all of that stuff. I think I would be more courageous next time."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTLife in Pics
From Crowd Ignite