Kathy Bates Secretly Battled Ovarian Cancer
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Castle Rock Entertainment/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: New Line Cinema/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- 'Original Sin' is tense, disturbing thrillerMSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 7:04:10 AM
- 13 Fall TV Burning Questions: What's Stephen Colbert Really Like? Can NBC Stay No. 1?MSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 7:00:00 AM
- Washington Post Replaces Publisher Katharine Weymouth with Frederick J. Ryan Jr.MSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 6:46:00 AM
- Ask Matt: Emmys, Longmire, Summer TV (Leftovers, Outlander, Strain),Doctor WhoMSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 6:30:00 AM
- Singer Chris Brown pleads guilty to misdemeanor assault in DC, sentenced to time servedMSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 6:29:19 AM
- 'Original Sin' is tense, disturbing thriller
Kathy Bates was in a fight for her life over eight years ago -- but no one knew.
On Tuesday, the Oscar-winning actress, now 63, opened up to Anderson Cooper on his show, "Anderson," about a private battle with ovarian cancer, one she took pains not to share with the public.
"I was advised to," the "Harry's Law" star explains. "I was contracted to go into a movie at that time, 'Little Black Book,' with Brittany Murphy, who I miss very much," she says of the 2004 romantic comedy starring the late Murphy, who died in December 2009 at age 32.
"But my doctors at the time, they had to get insurance approval and all of that, so I was very quiet about it. I had to go back to work right away," Bates adds, explaining that she underwent chemotherapy treatments "by myself ... I guess it's something I felt I had to face on my own."
Continues the "Misery" actress: "Nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family is supportive and surrounds you."
Although Bates doesn't regret the decision to stay private, she admits, "If I go through it again, I think I would be a lot more open about it." And she applauds Hollywood stars who've shared their cancer battles with the world: "I admire people who have been open like Melissa Ethridge and women I see walking around facing it with out wigs and all of that stuff. I think I would be more courageous next time."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
See where Hollywood's A-listers have spent the summer.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPrivacy Violation
From Crowd Ignite