Kathy Bates Secretly Battled Ovarian Cancer
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Castle Rock Entertainment/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: New Line Cinema/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- AMC Orders Martial Arts Drama 'Badlands' Straight to SeriesMSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 4:36:00 PM
- 'The Chair' Producer Zachary Quinto Talks 'Skepticism' About UnsMSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 4:19:00 PM
- LeBron James' Absence Demands Explanation During Starz's 'Survivor&apMSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 4:15:00 PM
- Megan Ellison Nearing Deal to Co-Finance Leonardo DiCaprio Thriller 'The Revenant'MSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 3:52:00 PM
- Yahoo Acquires Mobile Streaming Start-up RayVMSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 3:48:00 PM
- AMC Orders Martial Arts Drama 'Badlands' Straight to Series
Kathy Bates was in a fight for her life over eight years ago -- but no one knew.
On Tuesday, the Oscar-winning actress, now 63, opened up to Anderson Cooper on his show, "Anderson," about a private battle with ovarian cancer, one she took pains not to share with the public.
"I was advised to," the "Harry's Law" star explains. "I was contracted to go into a movie at that time, 'Little Black Book,' with Brittany Murphy, who I miss very much," she says of the 2004 romantic comedy starring the late Murphy, who died in December 2009 at age 32.
"But my doctors at the time, they had to get insurance approval and all of that, so I was very quiet about it. I had to go back to work right away," Bates adds, explaining that she underwent chemotherapy treatments "by myself ... I guess it's something I felt I had to face on my own."
Continues the "Misery" actress: "Nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family is supportive and surrounds you."
Although Bates doesn't regret the decision to stay private, she admits, "If I go through it again, I think I would be a lot more open about it." And she applauds Hollywood stars who've shared their cancer battles with the world: "I admire people who have been open like Melissa Ethridge and women I see walking around facing it with out wigs and all of that stuff. I think I would be more courageous next time."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Reese Witherspoon shares photos of her burgeoning friendship with Sofia Vergara on Instagram on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of Duchess Kate's most budget-friendly fashion items.Watch Video »
Rihanna shows her softer, sweeter side -- plus a newfound maternal instinct! -- on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the many women who have been wooed by George Clooney over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStaying Positive
From Crowd Ignite