Kathy Bates Secretly Battled Ovarian Cancer
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Castle Rock Entertainment/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: New Line Cinema/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- GLAAD Finds Painfully Low LGBT Representation in 2013 Films, Gives Two Studios Failing GradesMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:00:00 AM
- 12 Comic-Con Stars and Showrunners Share Insider Tips; Pick Convention Must-Dos and Don't MMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 2:00:00 AM
- CBS Films Exec Shakeup: Terry Press Assumes Top Leadership Role, Wolfgang Hammer OutMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 1:22:00 AM
- Woody Allen Talks His Life and Career in First Podcast AppearanceMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 12:12:00 AM
- Robert Downey Jr. Is Forbes' Top-Earning Actor With $75 MillionMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 11:22:00 PM
- GLAAD Finds Painfully Low LGBT Representation in 2013 Films, Gives Two Studios Failing Grades
Kathy Bates was in a fight for her life over eight years ago -- but no one knew.
On Tuesday, the Oscar-winning actress, now 63, opened up to Anderson Cooper on his show, "Anderson," about a private battle with ovarian cancer, one she took pains not to share with the public.
"I was advised to," the "Harry's Law" star explains. "I was contracted to go into a movie at that time, 'Little Black Book,' with Brittany Murphy, who I miss very much," she says of the 2004 romantic comedy starring the late Murphy, who died in December 2009 at age 32.
"But my doctors at the time, they had to get insurance approval and all of that, so I was very quiet about it. I had to go back to work right away," Bates adds, explaining that she underwent chemotherapy treatments "by myself ... I guess it's something I felt I had to face on my own."
Continues the "Misery" actress: "Nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family is supportive and surrounds you."
Although Bates doesn't regret the decision to stay private, she admits, "If I go through it again, I think I would be a lot more open about it." And she applauds Hollywood stars who've shared their cancer battles with the world: "I admire people who have been open like Melissa Ethridge and women I see walking around facing it with out wigs and all of that stuff. I think I would be more courageous next time."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Slim Down Secrets
Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel chat nude scenes and getting in shape for their film "Sex Tape" with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite