Kathy Bates Secretly Battled Ovarian Cancer
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Castle Rock Entertainment/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: New Line Cinema/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&aposMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:24:00 PM
- 8 Things That Will and 2 Things That (Probably) Won't Happen on Big Bang Theory Season 8MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&apos
Kathy Bates was in a fight for her life over eight years ago -- but no one knew.
On Tuesday, the Oscar-winning actress, now 63, opened up to Anderson Cooper on his show, "Anderson," about a private battle with ovarian cancer, one she took pains not to share with the public.
"I was advised to," the "Harry's Law" star explains. "I was contracted to go into a movie at that time, 'Little Black Book,' with Brittany Murphy, who I miss very much," she says of the 2004 romantic comedy starring the late Murphy, who died in December 2009 at age 32.
"But my doctors at the time, they had to get insurance approval and all of that, so I was very quiet about it. I had to go back to work right away," Bates adds, explaining that she underwent chemotherapy treatments "by myself ... I guess it's something I felt I had to face on my own."
Continues the "Misery" actress: "Nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family is supportive and surrounds you."
Although Bates doesn't regret the decision to stay private, she admits, "If I go through it again, I think I would be a lot more open about it." And she applauds Hollywood stars who've shared their cancer battles with the world: "I admire people who have been open like Melissa Ethridge and women I see walking around facing it with out wigs and all of that stuff. I think I would be more courageous next time."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite