Kathy Bates Secretly Battled Ovarian Cancer
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Castle Rock Entertainment/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: New Line Cinema/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- 'Tim's Vermeer' Review: Penn & Teller's Doc a Magic Mix MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 7:13:06 AM
- 'GMA': Amy Robach Plans to Work Through Chemo (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 7:09:52 AM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2 Trailer: Green Goblin Takes Center Stage (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 6:32:41 AM
- Malcolm McDowell Joins Gael Garcia Bernal in 'Mozart in the Jungle'MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 6:15:10 AM
- 'Decoding Annie Parker' Starring Helen Hunt, Samantha Morton Picked Up By eOne FilMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 6:57:26 PM
- 'Tim's Vermeer' Review: Penn & Teller's Doc a Magic Mix
Kathy Bates was in a fight for her life over eight years ago -- but no one knew.
On Tuesday, the Oscar-winning actress, now 63, opened up to Anderson Cooper on his show, "Anderson," about a private battle with ovarian cancer, one she took pains not to share with the public.
"I was advised to," the "Harry's Law" star explains. "I was contracted to go into a movie at that time, 'Little Black Book,' with Brittany Murphy, who I miss very much," she says of the 2004 romantic comedy starring the late Murphy, who died in December 2009 at age 32.
"But my doctors at the time, they had to get insurance approval and all of that, so I was very quiet about it. I had to go back to work right away," Bates adds, explaining that she underwent chemotherapy treatments "by myself ... I guess it's something I felt I had to face on my own."
Continues the "Misery" actress: "Nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family is supportive and surrounds you."
Although Bates doesn't regret the decision to stay private, she admits, "If I go through it again, I think I would be a lot more open about it." And she applauds Hollywood stars who've shared their cancer battles with the world: "I admire people who have been open like Melissa Ethridge and women I see walking around facing it with out wigs and all of that stuff. I think I would be more courageous next time."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From slicked back hair to drop-crotch pants, check out some of the biggest fashion blunders of the year.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of Ryan Gosling's hottest moments from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBen vs. Casey
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite