Kathy Griffin: Why I Never Outed My Pal Anderson Cooper
- Photo: Twitter.com/JackGrayCnn/Promotional1 of 14
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks2 of 14
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: Splash News4 of 14
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP5 of 14
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com6 of 14
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP7 of 14
- Photo: Walter McBride/WM Photos/Retna Ltd.8 of 14
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP9 of 14
- Photo: Mathew Imaging/WireImage.com10 of 14
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.11 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com12 of 14
- Photo: Jon McKee/Retna Ltd.13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Lake Bell to Direct 'The Emperor's Children' for Brian Grazer, ImagineMSNEntertainment 8/26/2014 4:15:00 PM
- Black TV Producer Mistaken for Bank Robber: Beverly Hills PD 'Deeply Regrets' ErroMSNEntertainment 8/26/2014 3:46:00 PM
- Ad Spending to Hit Record $172 Billion Next Year; Digital to Overtake in 2017MSNEntertainment 8/26/2014 3:23:00 PM
- Pierce Brosnan Spy Thriller 'November Man' Targets Older Action Fans at Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 8/26/2014 3:09:00 PM
- 'Babel's' Adriana Barraza to Play Pablo Escobar's Mother in NetfMSNEntertainment 8/26/2014 3:00:00 PM
- Lake Bell to Direct 'The Emperor's Children' for Brian Grazer, Imagine
Kathy Griffin may be an outspoken comedian, but she's a loyal friend.
Anderson Cooper made a long-anticipated announcement Monday in an open letter on The Daily Beast: "The fact is, I'm gay." His close friends immediately tweeted how "proud" they were of the award-winning CNN journalist -- including his CNN New Year's Eve co-host and good friend Kathy Griffin.
On Tuesday, Griffin, 51, wrote her own letter on The Daily Beast explaining why she never commented on her friend's sexuality.
"For years, I talked around it," the famously gay-friendly comic admitted. "Believe it or not, I don't 'out' people. It is neither my business nor my desire. Remember, folks, I am a comedian, not a journalist."
"And quite frankly," she added, "he never gave me permission to speak about something that represented the one part of his life he was not comfortable having confirmed in the media."
Cooper, 45, explained in his own letter that he wanted to maintain his privacy partially because of his profession as a journalist. "Since I started as a reporter in war zones 20 years ago, I've often found myself in some very dangerous places," he wrote. "For my safety and the safety of those I work with, I try to blend in as much as possible, and prefer to stick to my job of telling other people's stories, and not my own."
And Griffin felt the same way. "I don't pretend to understand the complexities of the worlds Anderson moves in," she said. "But I do know that I don't want my friend to face that part of the world, where he might die a very different kind of death than someone who isn't quite so honest."
"Here's the thing: I love my friend Anderson and remain immensely proud of him," Griffin concluded. "And I'm honored, truly, that he considers me a friend. But I just want him to be careful. Of course he wouldn't be doing his job if he really were being careful. And he wouldn't be who he is."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAnother Go
From Crowd Ignite