Kathy Griffin: Why I Never Outed My Pal Anderson Cooper
- Photo: Twitter.com/JackGrayCnn/Promotional1 of 14
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks2 of 14
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: Splash News4 of 14
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP5 of 14
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com6 of 14
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP7 of 14
- Photo: Walter McBride/WM Photos/Retna Ltd.8 of 14
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP9 of 14
- Photo: Mathew Imaging/WireImage.com10 of 14
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.11 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com12 of 14
- Photo: Jon McKee/Retna Ltd.13 of 14
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
Kathy Griffin may be an outspoken comedian, but she's a loyal friend.
Anderson Cooper made a long-anticipated announcement Monday in an open letter on The Daily Beast: "The fact is, I'm gay." His close friends immediately tweeted how "proud" they were of the award-winning CNN journalist -- including his CNN New Year's Eve co-host and good friend Kathy Griffin.
On Tuesday, Griffin, 51, wrote her own letter on The Daily Beast explaining why she never commented on her friend's sexuality.
"For years, I talked around it," the famously gay-friendly comic admitted. "Believe it or not, I don't 'out' people. It is neither my business nor my desire. Remember, folks, I am a comedian, not a journalist."
"And quite frankly," she added, "he never gave me permission to speak about something that represented the one part of his life he was not comfortable having confirmed in the media."
Cooper, 45, explained in his own letter that he wanted to maintain his privacy partially because of his profession as a journalist. "Since I started as a reporter in war zones 20 years ago, I've often found myself in some very dangerous places," he wrote. "For my safety and the safety of those I work with, I try to blend in as much as possible, and prefer to stick to my job of telling other people's stories, and not my own."
And Griffin felt the same way. "I don't pretend to understand the complexities of the worlds Anderson moves in," she said. "But I do know that I don't want my friend to face that part of the world, where he might die a very different kind of death than someone who isn't quite so honest."
"Here's the thing: I love my friend Anderson and remain immensely proud of him," Griffin concluded. "And I'm honored, truly, that he considers me a friend. But I just want him to be careful. Of course he wouldn't be doing his job if he really were being careful. And he wouldn't be who he is."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite