Katie Couric on why she hasn't remarried
- Photo: Charles Sykes/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Enrique RC/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 9
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP3 of 9
- Photo: Marion Curtis/AP4 of 9
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 9
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage.com6 of 9
- Photo: Charles Sykes/AP7 of 9
- Photo: Adriel Reboh/.8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Banned Iranian director Rasoulof coming to CannesMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 9:26:05 AM
- One more shot at romance in 'Before Midnight'MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 9:09:53 AM
- Ratings: 'Modern Family' Hits Season Finale Low But Tops Night as ABC, CBS TieMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 9:04:20 AM
- Striking 'Fashion Police' Writers to Picket E! Headquarters TodayMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 9:01:38 AM
- Alexander Payne's 'Nebraska' Reviews: Is it Another 'Sideways&amMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 8:44:54 AM
- Banned Iranian director Rasoulof coming to Cannes
Jay Monahan will always be the great love of Katie Couric's life. In the February issue of More, the 56-year-old talk show host opens up about her struggle to find love again after losing her husband to colon cancer in 1998.
"It's actually surprising to me that it has been almost 15 years and I haven't remarried. I think life is more fun when you have someone in your life," says the widow, whose exes include sitcom producer Tom Werner and financial executive Brooks Perlin. "I always wanted a father figure for my daughters [Ellie and Carrie], but it hasn't worked out that way. I've had long-term relationships, but they haven't turned into lifelong partners."
For many years, Couric believed she would find another widower or divorcé to marry. "I really did love my husband a lot, but after Jay died, I always thought I'd end up like Florence Henderson on 'The Brady Brunch,'" she explains.
Finding someone to share the rest of her life with hasn't been easy for Couric, who was most recently linked to New York-based financier John Molner. "I have had dates where we didn't click," Couric tells the magazine. "I once went out with a heart-transplant surgeon who talked about valves the whole night. But I appreciate that it's not easy to go out on a date with someone like me."
"Also, when you get to my age, everyone is a bit wounded. So I think it's important to handle people with care -- not to think, 'Oh, what a terrible date,' but just, 'This person isn't for me.'" Couric continues. "Everyone has a lot of baggage. It's just can you fit it into the overhead bin?"
Couric has never tried to hide her sorrow from the world. Three years after the death of her husband, the TV journalist's sister, Emily, died of pancreatic cancer at age 54; Couric shared both tragedies with viewers as co-anchor of the "Today" show. "I remember someone saying, 'You're like the Kennedys.' It's these parallel universes when someone you love is sick. Your world is this completely foreign place involving radiation and tumor marker. Outside, people are buying sweaters."
According to Couric, the losses have made her stronger. "I have become slightly inured," she tells More. "That doesn't mean if something else bad happened to me I wouldn't suffer. It's just that your threshold for suffering increases."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite