Katie Couric on why she hasn't remarried
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Enrique RC/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 9
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP3 of 9
- Photo: Marion Curtis/Invision/AP4 of 9
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 9
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage.com6 of 9
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP7 of 9
- Photo: Adriel Reboh/.8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Meghan McCain Guest-Hosting 'The View' Next Week Amid Talk of Her Joining Panel (EMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 8:10:00 AM
- Emmy Nominations: Edie Falco, Mayim Bialik, Steve Buscemi and More ReactMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 7:58:00 AM
- Emmys Comedy Race: 'Girls' Replaced by 'Silicon Valley,' a Show MSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 7:46:00 AM
- Emmy Nominations by the NumbersMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 7:39:00 AM
- Emmy Voters Round Up the Usual Suspects, AgainMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 7:08:00 AM
- Meghan McCain Guest-Hosting 'The View' Next Week Amid Talk of Her Joining Panel (E
Jay Monahan will always be the great love of Katie Couric's life. In the February issue of More, the 56-year-old talk show host opens up about her struggle to find love again after losing her husband to colon cancer in 1998.
"It's actually surprising to me that it has been almost 15 years and I haven't remarried. I think life is more fun when you have someone in your life," says the widow, whose exes include sitcom producer Tom Werner and financial executive Brooks Perlin. "I always wanted a father figure for my daughters [Ellie and Carrie], but it hasn't worked out that way. I've had long-term relationships, but they haven't turned into lifelong partners."
For many years, Couric believed she would find another widower or divorcé to marry. "I really did love my husband a lot, but after Jay died, I always thought I'd end up like Florence Henderson on 'The Brady Brunch,'" she explains.
Finding someone to share the rest of her life with hasn't been easy for Couric, who was most recently linked to New York-based financier John Molner. "I have had dates where we didn't click," Couric tells the magazine. "I once went out with a heart-transplant surgeon who talked about valves the whole night. But I appreciate that it's not easy to go out on a date with someone like me."
"Also, when you get to my age, everyone is a bit wounded. So I think it's important to handle people with care -- not to think, 'Oh, what a terrible date,' but just, 'This person isn't for me.'" Couric continues. "Everyone has a lot of baggage. It's just can you fit it into the overhead bin?"
Couric has never tried to hide her sorrow from the world. Three years after the death of her husband, the TV journalist's sister, Emily, died of pancreatic cancer at age 54; Couric shared both tragedies with viewers as co-anchor of the "Today" show. "I remember someone saying, 'You're like the Kennedys.' It's these parallel universes when someone you love is sick. Your world is this completely foreign place involving radiation and tumor marker. Outside, people are buying sweaters."
According to Couric, the losses have made her stronger. "I have become slightly inured," she tells More. "That doesn't mean if something else bad happened to me I wouldn't suffer. It's just that your threshold for suffering increases."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna shows her softer, sweeter side -- plus a newfound maternal instinct! -- on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian and more pregnant stars show off their baby bumps over the holiday weekend on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez brings the glam while spending time with her fam at Paris Fashion Week on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna kicks off her birthday celebrations in a winter wonderland on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHorsing Around
From Crowd Ignite