Keith Urban Thought Rehab Would 'Destroy' Nicole Kidman Marriage
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP2 of 6
- Photo: M. Spencer Green/Invision/AP3 of 6
- Photo: Hypnotics/starsurf//Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson admits cocaine useMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 7:49:55 AM
- Jude Law Gets Filthy in 'Dom Hemingway' Red Band Trailer (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 7:43:50 AM
- 'SNL' Promos: Paul Rudd Geeks Out Over One Direction, Can't Remember VaneMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 7:40:55 AM
- 'House of Cards' Season 2 Debuting on Valentine's DayMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 7:37:46 AM
- Will Forte's Ted Turner Says Conan Is Destroying TBS (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 7:25:57 AM
- Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson admits cocaine use
Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman were still newlyweds --- married for about four months -- when he checked into rehab for drug and alcohol addiction in October of 2006.
Urban, 43, worried that the time away would wreak havoc on their new union.
"Surely let's give it a few years so we've got some solidity, because this kind of thing could tear us apart," the country singer said Monday on "The Oprah Winfrey Show." "This could just destroy us."
But it was Kidman herself, plus a few close pals, who staged an intervention for Urban, who was hooked on cocaine and other substances.
"It was really a profound moment in so many ways," the crooner said of the intervention. "The way in which Nic handled that moment was just perfect ... Everything was just designed, I believe, for that moment to fuse us together."
It was, in fact, Urban's third time in rehab in eight years. "I had to make a decision which road I was going to take, once and for all," he said. "I'd been at that crossroads before and always taken the wrong road."
What was different this time?
"Love," he told Oprah Winfrey.
Urban left for rehab the same night as that intervention, he said. "I didn't care about anything else."
He gushed of his wife (and mother to their daughter Sunday Rose, nearly 2): "I look back now and realize Nic has taught me so much and brought so much into my life and opened my eyes in so many ways ... [This is] the best place I've ever been."
Actress Kidman also opened up on "Oprah" about their enduring romance. "I think marriage is about, every day, trying to make it better and working through things and when things are tough, saying, 'I'm going to come to you and talk,'" the "Rabbit Hole" star mused. "We're just very tight, and we stay really tight."
Both Australian, Kidman has really taken to their new life in Nashville, Tenn. "Some people like the much higher sort of more glamorous lifestyle," she said. "For us, we just prefer a much quieter, private [life]."
As for her favorite things to do with Sunday Rose, whom they sometimes call "Sunny"? Sharing her cappuccino foam -- and taking baths.
"I love her little shoulders, you know?" Kidman cooed. "She's in the bath, and I see those tiny little shoulders. Oprah, don't get me started!"
More on Wonderwall:
More from UsWeekly:
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPrivacy Request
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite