Kelsey Grammer: Marriage to Camille Was Self-Imposed Jail Sentence
- Photo: PictureGroup/.1 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: ZO5/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: SWAP / Splash News/Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: FS2/WENN5 of 10
- Photo: JM11/http://www.wenn.com/6 of 10
- Photo: A. Miller/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: Splash News8 of 10
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Jon Klein on His New Online Venture: 'We've Created the Company That I Feared WoulMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:41:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones' Star Kristian Nairn Comes Out: 'I've Been WaitMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:31:00 PM
- Television Academy Announces New Name, Fundraising DriveMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:18:00 PM
- Anne Sweeney Exiting Disney-ABC to Become TV DirectorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:10:00 PM
- Adam Carolla's 'Catch a Contractor' Debut Is Spike's Best in 3 YMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:06:00 PM
- Jon Klein on His New Online Venture: 'We've Created the Company That I Feared Woul
Kelsey Grammer says he was eager to divorce his longtime wife Camille in 2010 because their marriage had become like a jail sentence for him.
RELATED: Kelsey Grammer Welcomes a Daughter
Grammer wed Camille Donatacci in 1997 and spent 13 years in the marriage until the union began to dissolve in 2010 after Grammer helped land his wife a spot on "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills," just before heading to New York for a stint on Broadway.
He later left her for his current wife, Kayte Walsh.
The pair's nasty breakup played out on-screen and in the media, and now the actor even refuses to mention his former wife's name.
RELATED: Celeb Couples: Upgrade or Downgrade?
Opening up about their tumultuous relationship during an interview on "Oprah's Next Chapter," which aired Sunday, he said, "It's not good, but we have an arrangement with the children ... that I'm fairly happy with. ... I don't want to say a lot of bad things, but some very bad things were said, some threats were made, and some extremely unacceptable behavior took place in front of the children, which makes it impossible for us to pretend we can be civil."
He added, "My only sadness is actually about the kids. They've heard a lot of things, they've been dealing with a lot of things and they're still told a lot of things, on a daily basis, that aren't true."
Grammer confessed the only reason their marriage lasted 13 years was because he was too stubborn to go through with the legal proceedings.
He adds, "I stayed because I was stubborn. ... I was not in it, or happy in it, for a long, long time. It pretty much was over as soon as it began. ... I thought it was kind of a self-imposed sentence, like I had been sentenced to it in a weird way, by myself. Getting out, the promise of something different, didn't exist."
RELATED: Hollywood's Nastiest Custody Battles
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite