Kerry Washington shows off slim body in sexy swimsuit on Vanity Fair cover
- Photo: Vanity Fair1 of 16
- Photo: GIULIO MARCOCCHI/StarTraks2 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Mike Windle/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: Britta Pedersen/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: Birdie Thompson/Retna Ltd.6 of 16
- Photo: INB/WENN7 of 16
- Photo: WENN8 of 16
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: MPNC/GSI11 of 16
- Photo: Brian Dowling/Retna Digital12 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage14 of 16
- Photo: Dean, Ibanez/NPG15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&aposMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:24:00 PM
- 8 Things That Will and 2 Things That (Probably) Won't Happen on Big Bang Theory Season 8MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&apos
Vanity Fair's August cover is quite scandalous! Kerry Washington poses for the new issue in sexy white cutout swimsuit. The 36-year-old actress, who stars as Olivia Pope on ABC's soapy drama "Scandal," shows off her slim bod while modeling in a swimming pool. Styling short wet hair, glam red lips and smokey eyes, Washington seductively smiles for the camera.
In the magazine, Washington opens up about why she's proud to play the lead role as a crisis manager on "Scandal." "One of the most profound things for me about the show is the number of white women of all ages who come up to me and say, 'I want to be Olivia Pope.'"
"It's especially profound in a place like South Africa," she added. "It's called 'The Fixer' over there, and it just started its second season. The fact that white women can see this woman of color as an aspirational character is revolutionary, I think, in the medium of television. I don't think white women would feel that way about Olivia if her identity as a woman, period, wasn't first in their mind."
And her character's femininity is one of Washington's favorite parts about the role. "What I think is cool about Olivia is that she fully owns being a woman. There's a very nurturing sense of 'I'm going to take care of you -- don't worry about it. I'm gonna be your mom in this situation. You come stay in my office, have a cup of tea, and let my gladiators take care of you,'" she explained. "There's something very maternal about it. But there's also something very executive about her, and I mean 'executive' in a presidential way."
Actress Gabrielle Union recently revealed to The Associated Press that she lost out on the role of Olivia Pope in "Scandal." But Union has Washington to thank, in part, for landing her new role in BET's "Being Mary Jane."
"I said to myself, 'Oh my God, these roles are out there.' It showed me that you don't have to settle. Luckily, the success of her and the show bred more work," Union said. "Just from the audition process, I knew that I couldn't go backward."
For more of Washington's interview, pick up the August issue of Vanity Fair on newsstands July 9.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTux by Armani
From Crowd Ignite