Kerry Washington shows off slim body in sexy swimsuit on Vanity Fair cover
- Photo: Vanity Fair1 of 16
- Photo: GIULIO MARCOCCHI/StarTraks2 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Mike Windle/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: Britta Pedersen/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: Birdie Thompson/Retna Ltd.6 of 16
- Photo: INB/WENN7 of 16
- Photo: WENN8 of 16
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: MPNC/GSI11 of 16
- Photo: Brian Dowling/Retna Digital12 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage14 of 16
- Photo: Dean, Ibanez/NPG15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Ratings: Halle Berry's 'Extant' Flat in New Time Period, Ties Rising &MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 8:37:00 AM
- Lorde to perform lead single, curate tracks for 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 8:23:00 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 11:10 a.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 8:10:19 AM
- Starz' 'Outlander' brings novels to life vibrantlyMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 8:01:52 AM
- New Mexico city OKs funds to lure 'The Bachelor'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 7:44:42 AM
- Ratings: Halle Berry's 'Extant' Flat in New Time Period, Ties Rising &
Vanity Fair's August cover is quite scandalous! Kerry Washington poses for the new issue in sexy white cutout swimsuit. The 36-year-old actress, who stars as Olivia Pope on ABC's soapy drama "Scandal," shows off her slim bod while modeling in a swimming pool. Styling short wet hair, glam red lips and smokey eyes, Washington seductively smiles for the camera.
In the magazine, Washington opens up about why she's proud to play the lead role as a crisis manager on "Scandal." "One of the most profound things for me about the show is the number of white women of all ages who come up to me and say, 'I want to be Olivia Pope.'"
"It's especially profound in a place like South Africa," she added. "It's called 'The Fixer' over there, and it just started its second season. The fact that white women can see this woman of color as an aspirational character is revolutionary, I think, in the medium of television. I don't think white women would feel that way about Olivia if her identity as a woman, period, wasn't first in their mind."
And her character's femininity is one of Washington's favorite parts about the role. "What I think is cool about Olivia is that she fully owns being a woman. There's a very nurturing sense of 'I'm going to take care of you -- don't worry about it. I'm gonna be your mom in this situation. You come stay in my office, have a cup of tea, and let my gladiators take care of you,'" she explained. "There's something very maternal about it. But there's also something very executive about her, and I mean 'executive' in a presidential way."
Actress Gabrielle Union recently revealed to The Associated Press that she lost out on the role of Olivia Pope in "Scandal." But Union has Washington to thank, in part, for landing her new role in BET's "Being Mary Jane."
"I said to myself, 'Oh my God, these roles are out there.' It showed me that you don't have to settle. Luckily, the success of her and the show bred more work," Union said. "Just from the audition process, I knew that I couldn't go backward."
For more of Washington's interview, pick up the August issue of Vanity Fair on newsstands July 9.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite