Kirk Cameron defends anti-gay comments, accuses critics of hate speech, slander
- Photo: Patsy Lynch/Retna Ltd.1 of 13
- Photo: Mike Guastella/WireImage2 of 13
- Photo: Anonymous/AP3 of 13
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage4 of 13
- Photo: Nick Ut/AP5 of 13
- Photo: E.J. Camp/American Broadcasting Companies6 of 13
- Photo: ABC/Promotional7 of 13
- Photo: Walter McBride/Retna Ltd.8 of 13
- Photo: Stephen Shugerman/GettyImages.com9 of 13
- Photo: AP10 of 13
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.11 of 13
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Thompson, Fantagraphics co-publisher, dies at 56MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 4:30:39 PM
- 'Hemlock Grove' Renewed for Season 2MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 4:19:55 PM
- Kelsey Grammer, Martin Lawrence Land Lawyer Comedy at FX MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:51:37 PM
- Music Journalist Chet Flippo Dead at 69MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:26:04 PM
- Owen Wilson and Woody Harrelson Go Back In Time in 'Free Bird's Trailer (Video)MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:01:15 PM
- Thompson, Fantagraphics co-publisher, dies at 56
By Chris Gardner
Kirk Cameron has answered his critics.
The former "Growing Pains" actor has weathered a firestorm of controversy since his appearance on Piers Morgan's CNN talk show last Friday when he shared his anti-gay views, saying that homosexuality is "unnatural" and "ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization." The comments immediately drew heated responses from many including GLAAD, Cameron's former co-stars and thousands of social media users.
However, in an email statement released exclusively to ABC News on Tuesday, Cameron says that some of those reactions have included "hate speech" and slander. He defended his right to share his views and says that contrary to what people may think, loving all people is a focus of his life.
"I spoke as honestly as I could, but some people believe my responses were not loving toward those in the gay community. That is not true. I can assuredly say that it's my life's mission to love all people. I should be able to express moral views on social issues, especially those that have been the underpinning of Western civilization for 2,000 years -- without being slandered, accused of hate speech, and told from those who preach 'tolerance' that I need to either bend my beliefs to their moral standards or be silent when I'm in the public square."
He added, "I believe we need to learn how to debate these things with greater love and respect," and added, "I've been encouraged by the support of many friends (including gay friends, incidentally)."
GLAAD, which had already organized a petition to urge Cameron to "grow up," fired back again on Tuesday in response to the actor's statement. Herndon Graddick, GLAAD's senior director of Programs and Communications, said, "Cameron used his platform to attack gay Americans and is now attempting to play victim in an effort to sell his upcoming movie. That Cameron would risk the health and safety of young people in order to do so speaks for itself. So many Americans, popular celebrities and Christian leaders have stood up and said his views are out of touch. The fundamental dignity of gay people should no longer be a debate in this country."
Among those who have stood up and sounded off on Cameron's views were his "Growing Pains" family, including Alan Thicke and Tracey Gold, who both responded with comments on Twitter in favor of equal rights and the LGBT community. "I'm getting him some new books. The Old Testament simply can't be expected to explain everything," Thicke tweeted. Gold posted, "I am a strong supporter of the #LGBT Community, and I believe in equal rights for all. #NOH8 #LOVE"
Fellow sitcom star Roseanne Barr also used Twitter to voice her opinion, posting, "Kirk or kurt or whatever Cameron is an accomplice to murder with his hate speech."
Other actors who spoke out about Cameron's comments included Debra Messing, Neil Patrick Harris, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Josh Charles and Craig Ferguson.
RELATED: Stars Who Came Out of the Closet
While some dubbed them controversial, Cameron's comments came as no surprise to others who have followed his post-"Growing Pains" career. He has segued from the small screen to the church, where he has been an active supporter of the Christian faith. He has starred in the faith-based films "Fireproof" and "Left Behind" and written the book "Still Growing." He is also the co-founder of The Way of the Master, a ministry that's mission is to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. His appearance on Morgan's show was to tout the documentary "Monumental," which tracks the true intent of the founding fathers of the U.S., which Cameron has said was to create a religious nation.
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Ashley Greene reveals a painful wound from a wild Bali vacation on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
From David Beckham to Ben Affleck, check out Hollywood's hottest dads.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite