Kirstie Alley slams Leah Remini as a 'bigot' after anti-Scientology remarks
- Photo: Invision/AP1 of 12
- Photo: Rex USA2 of 12
- Photo: FS2/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: FS2/WENN4 of 12
- Photo: FS2/WENN5 of 12
- Photo: RSH/ZOJ/WENN6 of 12
- Photo: CHRISTIAN Z/DAVE V/Bauer-Griffin7 of 12
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage8 of 12
- Photo: MPM/ZOJ/WENN9 of 12
- Photo: Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage10 of 12
- Photo: Michael Stewart/WireImage11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- 'The Good Wife' Review: Legal Drama Ditches the Grief for Dynamic StorytellingMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:26:00 AM
- Jessica Chastain's 'Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby' Stumbles in SpecialtyMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:08:00 AM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New York
Kirstie Alley didn't take issue with Leah Remini leaving Scientology. She did, however, take issue with Leah Remini leaving Scientology and then telling the world she'd been shunned by friends in the church because of it. Asked about the King of Queens star's anti-Scientology remarks in an interview with Howard Stern on Wednesday, Dec. 4, Alley called Remini a "bigot" and slammed the actress' claims about the church as "bulls--t."
"The thing about me is, I don't care what religion you are. If someone is attacking your religion, I will have your back, and I will defend you. I think that is the most repulsive thing a person can do, attack another person's faith," the Kirstie star, 62, told Stern. "Because a faith is what you look to to have hope, and is what you look to to help other people. I just think it's really wrong."
The former Cheers star -- a member of the Church of Scientology since the 1970s -- went on to address Remini's claim that she "lost friends" when she left the organization. (The Dancing With the Stars competitor told Ellen DeGeneres in September that friends she'd had "for dozens of years" could "no longer talk" to her or her family once they'd quit. She also alleged on DWTS this season that the church was "looking for [her] to fail.")
"First of all, I just want to everyone to know I have hundreds of friends and people that I know that have come into Scientology and left Scientology," Alley told Stern. (Famous Scientologists include Tom Cruise and John Travolta.) "It is not true that you cannot [leave]. You're not shunned, you're not chased. All that stuff's bulls--t."
The real problem, Alley continued, is that Remini portrayed the church in a negative light when she left. "When you are generalizing, and when your goal is to malign and to say things about an entire group -- there are tens of millions of Scientologists in the world -- when you decide to blanket statement that 'Scientology is evil,' you are my enemy," she explained.
Not that the two were ever that close to begin with. "The truth is, I don't think I've seen Leah for seven or eight years, not for any reason other than I'm acting, and she's acting," Alley said. "I didn't care if she was in or out."
That said, Remini is most certainly "out" of Alley's life -- or at least her Twitter feed. "I have blocked her on Twitter," the Emmy-winning actress admitted to Stern. "Because she's a bigot. If someone was really out there [saying negative things about your religion], would they be your friend? They wouldn't be mine. It's not selective, I just won't have people in my life that are that."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBeautiful Family
From Crowd Ignite