Leah Remini on Leaving Scientology: I Took a Stance With My Family
- Photo: FS2/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN2 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN5 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN6 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: KH1/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: RSH/ZOJ/WENN9 of 11
- Photo: Janet Mayer / Splash News/Splash News10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Sam Raimi Writing 'Evil Dead' TV Series That Will Include Bruce CampbellMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 10:36:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Fires Writer Over Multiple Instances of PlagiarismMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 9:31:00 PM
- Fox at Comic-Con: James Bond Is Whack, We're Making Movies With Balls (and Jokes)MSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 7:26:00 PM
- Sleepy Hollow Season 2: Is Ichabod a Gleek? MSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 7:21:00 PM
- Jenny McCarthy Pens Op-Ed, Regrets Hillary Clinton Lesbian CommentMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 6:55:00 PM
- Sam Raimi Writing 'Evil Dead' TV Series That Will Include Bruce Campbell
Leah Remini is ready for life after Scientology. The "King of Queens" star, 43, supported pal Holly Robinson Peete at Saturday's 15th Annual DesignCare benefit at a private residence in Malibu, Calif.; the event marked Remini's first public appearance since her news-making departure from the Church of Scientology. Remini was born and raised in the faith favored by the likes of Tom Cruise and John Travolta, but left after allegedly disagreeing with Church leader David Miscavige and some of the organization's supposed practices.
Is Remini happy now? "Happy is a relative word," the married mother of one told Us Weekly Saturday. "Yeah. It's a time of change." Specifically addressing her departure from the church, Remini told Us: "I think the fact that my family has taken a stance and we are on a united front says a lot."
In other news, the star says she has some major projects in the works -- including a return to TV. "I'm deciding to do something right now and we'll know in the next week," she teased. "It will be television. It might be in the reality-sitcom world."
A source previously told Us that Remini's exit was not a decision she took lightly. "She thought about this over a long time."
She reportedly also said she believes "people should be able to question things," and that "no one is going to tell me how I need to think."
The New York Post's Page Six first reported that Remini had been supposedly subjected to years of "interrogations" and "thought modifications." A rep for the church told Us Weekly: "The church respects the privacy of parishioners and has no comment about any individual church member."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSummer Stars
From Crowd Ignite