Leah Remini on Leaving Scientology: I Took a Stance With My Family
- Photo: FS2/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN2 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN5 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN6 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: KH1/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: RSH/ZOJ/WENN9 of 11
- Photo: Janet Mayer / Splash News/Splash News10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Sundance Film Festival Expands to Hong KongMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:12:00 PM
- 'Undateable' Gets Second Season From NBCMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 9:18:00 PM
- Emmys Parties Preview 2014: How to Spend August on a Champagne Diet (Updating)MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 7:34:00 PM
- Apple to Cut Beats Staff by 200 Following $3 Billion AcquisitionMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 7:11:00 PM
- John Stamos to Armor Up for ABC's 'Galavant'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:36:00 PM
- Sundance Film Festival Expands to Hong Kong
Leah Remini is ready for life after Scientology. The "King of Queens" star, 43, supported pal Holly Robinson Peete at Saturday's 15th Annual DesignCare benefit at a private residence in Malibu, Calif.; the event marked Remini's first public appearance since her news-making departure from the Church of Scientology. Remini was born and raised in the faith favored by the likes of Tom Cruise and John Travolta, but left after allegedly disagreeing with Church leader David Miscavige and some of the organization's supposed practices.
Is Remini happy now? "Happy is a relative word," the married mother of one told Us Weekly Saturday. "Yeah. It's a time of change." Specifically addressing her departure from the church, Remini told Us: "I think the fact that my family has taken a stance and we are on a united front says a lot."
In other news, the star says she has some major projects in the works -- including a return to TV. "I'm deciding to do something right now and we'll know in the next week," she teased. "It will be television. It might be in the reality-sitcom world."
A source previously told Us that Remini's exit was not a decision she took lightly. "She thought about this over a long time."
She reportedly also said she believes "people should be able to question things," and that "no one is going to tell me how I need to think."
The New York Post's Page Six first reported that Remini had been supposedly subjected to years of "interrogations" and "thought modifications." A rep for the church told Us Weekly: "The church respects the privacy of parishioners and has no comment about any individual church member."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite