Letterman Opens Up About His Bout with Depression
- Photo: MARK J. TERRILL/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP2 of 13
- Photo: CBS/Promotional3 of 13
- Photo: DB5/WENN4 of 13
- Photo: Charles Sykes/AP5 of 13
- Photo: NC1/NYG/CBS/WENN6 of 13
- Photo: ADAM ROUNTREE/AP7 of 13
- Photo: Twitter/.8 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP9 of 13
- Photo: Anonymous/AP10 of 13
- Photo: FPZ/Fame Pictures11 of 13
- Photo: CBS/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'Storage Wars' Star Brandi Passante Gets Pittance in Porn Video LawsuitMSNEntertainment 6/17/2013 4:58:31 PM
- Can 'House of Cards' Stage a Bar-B-Coup at the Emmys?MSNEntertainment 6/17/2013 4:40:52 PM
- Warner Music Group Intern Wants Money for All That Coffee BrewingMSNEntertainment 6/17/2013 4:34:54 PM
- Universal Extends Licensing President Stephanie Sperber Through 2016MSNEntertainment 6/17/2013 4:32:02 PM
- 'Prometheus 2' Moving Forward With 'Transcendence' Writer Jack PMSNEntertainment 6/17/2013 4:21:29 PM
- 'Storage Wars' Star Brandi Passante Gets Pittance in Porn Video Lawsuit
David Letterman is revealing what prompted him to seek medicinal help for depression, and discusses how becoming a father changed his life.
In an interview on Thursday with Charlie Rose for "CBS This Morning," Letterman said that even though he was suffering from depression, he chose for years not to take medication "because I thought it would make me loopy or make me hallucinate or make me drowsy."
But the "Late Show" host told Rose that after going off strong pain medication after a bout with shingles, he felt a "nervous anxiety" that had to be dealt with. "And then I was really screwed. So that's when I said [to my doctor], 'OK, OK, I'll try anything just to get rid of this depression,'" he said. "Because it was, it's different than, 'Oh, I don't feel good today.' It's different than feeling sad. It's different than feeling blue. It's really like a friend of mine says, it's the world with 20/20 vision."
On the topic of fatherhood, Letterman said he regretted being "so gosh darn single-minded" and not starting a family sooner in life. "I just thought, when the topic would come up, I can't do both. I can't try to have a successful television show and be a father. And I was wrong about that -- because as difficult as being a father is, it's entirely complementary with everything else in your life."
When asked to elaborate, he said his 9-year-old son, Harry, with wife Regina Lasko has changed his whole outlook on life. "It's like you get your prescription updated. You can see things that you never saw before." He added that after having kids, you see everything different and "you think of things other than yourself."
After joking about wanting "five or six kids," Letterman did admit he would like to have at least one more. "I have a little boy now, I wish I had a little girl."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
- Michelle Williams and Jason Segel are moving on!
- Wedding bells and baby rattles for Jennifer Love H
- Gisele Bundchen's bikini bod after baby
- Kim Kardashian's Last Trip to Paris Before Baby
- Prince Harry's scandal-free trip to the US
- Miley and Liam: Engagement Intervention?
- The Kardashians Luxurious Greek Getaway
- Will Sharon and Ozzy’s marriage survive his addiction issues?
- Why does Bradley Cooper live with his mom?
- Jessica Alba and Nicole Richie's Hot Caribbean Vacation
- Heidi Klum's Dramatic Beach Rescue
- Is Hayden Panettiere Secretly Engaged?
- Is Lindsay Lohan Ready to Clean Up Her Life?
- Are Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Over?
- Is Duchess Kate Expecting a Daughter?
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite