Lucy Lawless gets community service following activism arrest
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/R-STEINBERG1 of 6
- Photo: MCA Television/Promotional2 of 6
- Photo: Universal TV/MCA Television/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Promotional4 of 6
- Photo: MCA Television/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Sundance Film Festival Expands to Hong KongMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:12:00 PM
- 'Undateable' Gets Second Season From NBCMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 9:18:00 PM
- Emmys Parties Preview 2014: How to Spend August on a Champagne Diet (Updating)MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 7:34:00 PM
- Apple to Cut Beats Staff by 200 Following $3 Billion AcquisitionMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 7:11:00 PM
- John Stamos to Armor Up for ABC's 'Galavant'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:36:00 PM
- Sundance Film Festival Expands to Hong Kong
Actress Lucy Lawless was sentenced to 120 hours of community service on Thursday alongside six activists for her role in staging a demonstration aboard an oil ship docked in her native New Zealand.
VIDEO: Best TMI tweets
The former "Xena: Warrior Princess" star was among a group of Greenpeace campaigners who climbed on the Noble Discoverer in Taranaki in February and chained themselves to the ship's tower to protest against oil drilling in the Arctic.
All seven of the group were arrested following the 77-hour protest and they were sentenced to 120 hours of community service and ordered to pay a total of $4,438 in reparation to the Port of Taranaki.
Speaking outside Taranaki District Court, Lawless said, "We are proud to have taken part in our attempt to stop Shell's reckless plans to drill for oil in the pristine Arctic."
"Since we occupied the Noble Discoverer, it has become evident to everyone watching, from the millions who have signed Greenpeace petitions to the U.S. Government now examining Shell's plans, that it can never be safe to drill in the Arctic.
"Shell's Arctic program has cost them billions and it's now regarded as an eye-wateringly expensive failure. Let's embrace clean energy -- we're going to have to anyway, so why not do it before they cause a major oil spill in the Arctic, and consign our grandchildren to an uncertain and dangerous world?"
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite