Lucy Lawless gets community service following activism arrest
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/R-STEINBERG1 of 6
- Photo: MCA Television/Promotional2 of 6
- Photo: Universal TV/MCA Television/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Promotional4 of 6
- Photo: MCA Television/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 1:40:07 PM
- Zac Efron Shops Dildos in 'Neighbors,' Proving Once Again He's Far More TMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:43:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:41:00 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:47 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:40:29 AM
- Marvel expands Infinite with 'Ultimate Spider-Man'MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:33:56 AM
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
Actress Lucy Lawless was sentenced to 120 hours of community service on Thursday alongside six activists for her role in staging a demonstration aboard an oil ship docked in her native New Zealand.
VIDEO: Best TMI tweets
The former "Xena: Warrior Princess" star was among a group of Greenpeace campaigners who climbed on the Noble Discoverer in Taranaki in February and chained themselves to the ship's tower to protest against oil drilling in the Arctic.
All seven of the group were arrested following the 77-hour protest and they were sentenced to 120 hours of community service and ordered to pay a total of $4,438 in reparation to the Port of Taranaki.
Speaking outside Taranaki District Court, Lawless said, "We are proud to have taken part in our attempt to stop Shell's reckless plans to drill for oil in the pristine Arctic."
"Since we occupied the Noble Discoverer, it has become evident to everyone watching, from the millions who have signed Greenpeace petitions to the U.S. Government now examining Shell's plans, that it can never be safe to drill in the Arctic.
"Shell's Arctic program has cost them billions and it's now regarded as an eye-wateringly expensive failure. Let's embrace clean energy -- we're going to have to anyway, so why not do it before they cause a major oil spill in the Arctic, and consign our grandchildren to an uncertain and dangerous world?"
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite