Lucy Lawless gets community service following activism arrest
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/R-STEINBERG1 of 6
- Photo: MCA Television/Promotional2 of 6
- Photo: Universal TV/MCA Television/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Promotional4 of 6
- Photo: MCA Television/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 5:04:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler and Husband Welcome a Baby GirlMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- Matthew McConaughey Courted for 'The Stand,' Nearing Deal for 'Gold&aMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- The Mindy Project Taps Niecy Nash as Mindy's RivalMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- Steve Martin in Negotiations to Star in Disney's 'Magic Camp'MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:01:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&
Actress Lucy Lawless was sentenced to 120 hours of community service on Thursday alongside six activists for her role in staging a demonstration aboard an oil ship docked in her native New Zealand.
VIDEO: Best TMI tweets
The former "Xena: Warrior Princess" star was among a group of Greenpeace campaigners who climbed on the Noble Discoverer in Taranaki in February and chained themselves to the ship's tower to protest against oil drilling in the Arctic.
All seven of the group were arrested following the 77-hour protest and they were sentenced to 120 hours of community service and ordered to pay a total of $4,438 in reparation to the Port of Taranaki.
Speaking outside Taranaki District Court, Lawless said, "We are proud to have taken part in our attempt to stop Shell's reckless plans to drill for oil in the pristine Arctic."
"Since we occupied the Noble Discoverer, it has become evident to everyone watching, from the millions who have signed Greenpeace petitions to the U.S. Government now examining Shell's plans, that it can never be safe to drill in the Arctic.
"Shell's Arctic program has cost them billions and it's now regarded as an eye-wateringly expensive failure. Let's embrace clean energy -- we're going to have to anyway, so why not do it before they cause a major oil spill in the Arctic, and consign our grandchildren to an uncertain and dangerous world?"
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
From Gwen Stefani to Britney Spears, check out some of the best all-time style moments from the Teen Choice Awards.Watch Video »
From Gisele Bundchen to Kerry Washington and more stars who've married football stars.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Crowd Ignite