Elle Macpherson fired assistant during phone hacking controversy
- Photo: CAP/NFS/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: Pat/Arnal/Stills/Camera Press/Retna Ltd.2 of 16
- Photo: Matt Keeble/Splash News3 of 16
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com4 of 16
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage5 of 16
- Photo: MKAA/ZDS/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Simon Anderson/Bauer-Griffin9 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Fame Pictures11 of 16
- Photo: WENN12 of 16
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin13 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Splash News15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Agents of SHIELD's' Elena Satine to Join 'Revenge'MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 11:51:00 AM
- How 'Boyhood' Editor Sandra Adair Stitched 12 Long Years Into the Year's MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 11:43:00 AM
- 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' 9/11 Poster Shell Shocks Social MediaMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 11:14:00 AM
- Ice Cube, Dr. Dre Find Their MC Ren, DJ Yella for N.W.A. BiopicMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 11:00:00 AM
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Star Zoe Saldana Poses Nude for Women's Health MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 10:52:00 AM
- 'Agents of SHIELD's' Elena Satine to Join 'Revenge'
Supermodel Elle Macpherson fired her business adviser after becoming convinced the aide was responsible for leaking private details to the British tabloid at the center of the U.K.'s phone hacking scandal.
Macpherson is said to be one of a slew of victims targeted by a private investigator, who intercepted voicemail messages from cell phones belonging to celebrities and crime victims and allegedly passed on juicy information to editors at the News of the World.
A public inquiry into U.K. press standards is underway in London, and on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2011, Macpherson's former employee Mary-Ellen Field testified that she had lost her job after the beauty blamed her for sharing her secrets with the press.
Field claimed her relationship with the Aussie stunner began to fall apart as a result of the false accusations in 2005 - all while she was battling a mystery illness.
She told the panel at the Royal Courts of Justice, "It had a very serious affect. I had become ill and was falling down all the time."
Macpherson believed her assistant was simply intoxicated and ordered her to undergo counseling for alcoholism - but instead of protesting her innocence, Field agreed to go to rehab to keep her job.
She explained, "I have a severely disabled child who can never look after himself, so walking away from a high-paying position is not a good idea."
Earlier in the day, comedian Steve Coogan also testified in the ongoing government inquiry into tabloid ethics, insisting the British media had no right to expose scandals in his personal life because he has never courted the press attention.
Publishing boss Rupert Murdoch closed the News of the World earlier this year after the phone hacking controversy hit headlines around the world.
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite