Elle Macpherson fired assistant during phone hacking controversy
- Photo: CAP/NFS/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: Pat/Arnal/Stills/Camera Press/Retna Ltd.2 of 16
- Photo: Matt Keeble/Splash News3 of 16
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com4 of 16
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage5 of 16
- Photo: MKAA/ZDS/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Simon Anderson/Bauer-Griffin9 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Fame Pictures11 of 16
- Photo: WENN12 of 16
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin13 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Splash News15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 8 Crazy Things to Expect on Sleepy Hollow Season 2MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Emmy Winner and Singer Polly Bergen Dies at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Kim Kardashian Among the Latest Targeted in Nude Photo LeakMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansionsMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:26:14 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years Late
Supermodel Elle Macpherson fired her business adviser after becoming convinced the aide was responsible for leaking private details to the British tabloid at the center of the U.K.'s phone hacking scandal.
Macpherson is said to be one of a slew of victims targeted by a private investigator, who intercepted voicemail messages from cell phones belonging to celebrities and crime victims and allegedly passed on juicy information to editors at the News of the World.
A public inquiry into U.K. press standards is underway in London, and on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2011, Macpherson's former employee Mary-Ellen Field testified that she had lost her job after the beauty blamed her for sharing her secrets with the press.
Field claimed her relationship with the Aussie stunner began to fall apart as a result of the false accusations in 2005 - all while she was battling a mystery illness.
She told the panel at the Royal Courts of Justice, "It had a very serious affect. I had become ill and was falling down all the time."
Macpherson believed her assistant was simply intoxicated and ordered her to undergo counseling for alcoholism - but instead of protesting her innocence, Field agreed to go to rehab to keep her job.
She explained, "I have a severely disabled child who can never look after himself, so walking away from a high-paying position is not a good idea."
Earlier in the day, comedian Steve Coogan also testified in the ongoing government inquiry into tabloid ethics, insisting the British media had no right to expose scandals in his personal life because he has never courted the press attention.
Publishing boss Rupert Murdoch closed the News of the World earlier this year after the phone hacking controversy hit headlines around the world.
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite