Joel Madden blasts reports of marriage problems with Nicole Richie
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com1 of 12
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News2 of 12
- Photo: Splash News3 of 12
- Photo: Alan Silfen/.4 of 12
- Photo: Mirrorpix/Splash News5 of 12
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage6 of 12
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage7 of 12
- Photo: GCA/ZOJ/WENN8 of 12
- Photo: MWA/ZOJ/WENN9 of 12
- Photo: Peter Kramer/KRAPE10 of 12
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Jackie Chan 'Ashamed,' 'Heartbroken' Over Son's Arrest MSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Mark Burnett and Roma Downey's 'Dovekeepers' Casts 'Manhattan&amMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 11:30:00 AM
- Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande and Jessie J to Open MTV VMAsMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:59:00 AM
- 'Top Chef' Season 12 to Premiere in OctoberMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:48:00 AM
- Bill Murray Comedy 'Rock the Kasbah' Gets Release DateMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:32:00 AM
- Jackie Chan 'Ashamed,' 'Heartbroken' Over Son's Arrest
Rocker Joel Madden has slammed reports that his marriage to Nicole Richie is in trouble as they work on TV talent shows on opposite sides of the world.
The Good Charlotte frontman, who lives in Los Angeles with his wife and their two young children, has recently been spending time in Australia, where he's a mentor on the hit new reality show "The Voice," while socialite-turned-fashion designer Richie launches her new series, "Fashion Star."
Sources tell In Touch the time apart has put a strain on the couple's relationship, suggesting the Maddens are having "marriage woes."
The musician says he was prompted to speak out about the rumors to protect his reputation and the "sanctity" of his marriage.
The statement, issued to GossipCop.com, reads: "I don't usually comment on gossip, but seeing as this is something that is defaming my character and the sanctity of my marriage and family, I feel like I have to make something clear. I understand the nature of gossip media, and I accept that. However much I do understand people's need to be entertained by creating stories for blogs and tabloids, I take my responsibilities as a father, and as a husband very seriously. My wife and my children are the most important thing in the world to me. I try very hard to be the father that Harlow and Sparrow need and deserve, and the husband I believe Nicole deserves. I care way more about these things than I do about any job I could ever do, song I could ever write, or success I could ever find in what I think is the silliest business in the world. I love music and will always work the hardest I can to provide for my family, but not at any cost. My family's well being and privacy will always come first."
The statement continued, "I would never usually go out of my way to comment on these things, and I by no means plan on starting, I just felt the need to say this because if in fact my children do read all the stories that have and will be written by a media that does not care about sacred things like family and marriage, I hope they also find this statement."
Madden wed Richie in December 2010.
RELATED: Star Secrets
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite