Mary-Kate Olsen, Ashley Olsen accused of copying other fashion designers
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage1 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP3 of 11
- Photo: Javier Mateo/StarTraks4 of 11
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks6 of 11
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage7 of 11
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage8 of 11
- Photo: .9 of 11
- Photo: WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Oscar Hopefuls Facing Make-or-Break Time at the Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 9:03:39 AM
- Lars von Trier's 'Nymphomaniac' Getting Released in Two PartsMSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 8:45:01 AM
- Ratings: NBC Has Top-Rated 'Christmas in Rockefeller Center' in 7 YearsMSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 8:34:07 AM
- Stephen Colbert: Do-Nothing Congress Does Something for Chimps (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 8:25:07 AM
- Aereo Expanding to Baltimore Dec. 16MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 7:48:11 AM
- Oscar Hopefuls Facing Make-or-Break Time at the Box Office
Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen have built a successful fashion empire over the years, launching high-end labels like The Row and Elizabeth & James. Despite their financial and critical successes, however, one celebrity stylist has accused the 27-year-old twins of ripping off other designers. Speaking to Vogue Italia, Lysa Cooper -- who's worked with Rihanna and Elizabeth Hurley -- disses the popularity of celebrity fashion lines.
"The only one that's any good, and I hate to say it, are our girls, the twins. The Row. But the reason that works is because they hired designers. They 'yay' or 'nay' [the concepts]. And they are the best line at ripping off other lines that I've ever seen," she says of the former child actresses. "I mean, they've taken Rick Owens, Ann Demeulemeester. But it's good. You know, they're good at it. I don't buy it, but they're good at it."
Cooper says real fashion designers should go to school first. "If you go to school, then maybe you can talk some s---."
The Olsen twins, who transitioned from Hollywood as students at New York University, are used to such criticisms. In a 2011 Newsweek cover story, Ashley opened up about the challenges they faced before launching The Row in 2007. "With the retailers, we dealt with some tough cookies," she admitted. "Their attitude was, 'Who do these girls think they are?'"
"It definitely took time to earn people's respect," added Mary-Kate.
According to Ashley, "We really want The Row to be an American luxury brand. We believe in not just American by representation, but American by make."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Check out some of Ryan Gosling's hottest moments from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
From Elsa Pataky to Ginnifer Goodwin, see some of Hollywood's new baby bumps on Wonderwall Replay.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBen vs. Casey
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite