Mary-Kate Olsen, Ashley Olsen accused of copying other fashion designers
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage1 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP3 of 11
- Photo: Javier Mateo/StarTraks4 of 11
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks6 of 11
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage7 of 11
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage8 of 11
- Photo: .9 of 11
- Photo: WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Lea Michele to Guest on 'Sons of Anarchy'MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:30:00 AM
- Sarah Palin Channel Mocked on Twitter With Terrible Ideas for TV ShowsMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:19:00 AM
- Freddie Prinze Jr. Says Working With Kiefer Sutherland on '24' Was a NightmareMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:11:00 AM
- Hilary Duff Returns to Music With 'Chasing the Sun' (Audio)MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 9:08:00 AM
- Ratings: 'Big Brother' Hands CBS a WinMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 9:01:00 AM
- 'Glee' Star Lea Michele to Guest on 'Sons of Anarchy'
Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen have built a successful fashion empire over the years, launching high-end labels like The Row and Elizabeth & James. Despite their financial and critical successes, however, one celebrity stylist has accused the 27-year-old twins of ripping off other designers. Speaking to Vogue Italia, Lysa Cooper -- who's worked with Rihanna and Elizabeth Hurley -- disses the popularity of celebrity fashion lines.
"The only one that's any good, and I hate to say it, are our girls, the twins. The Row. But the reason that works is because they hired designers. They 'yay' or 'nay' [the concepts]. And they are the best line at ripping off other lines that I've ever seen," she says of the former child actresses. "I mean, they've taken Rick Owens, Ann Demeulemeester. But it's good. You know, they're good at it. I don't buy it, but they're good at it."
Cooper says real fashion designers should go to school first. "If you go to school, then maybe you can talk some s---."
The Olsen twins, who transitioned from Hollywood as students at New York University, are used to such criticisms. In a 2011 Newsweek cover story, Ashley opened up about the challenges they faced before launching The Row in 2007. "With the retailers, we dealt with some tough cookies," she admitted. "Their attitude was, 'Who do these girls think they are?'"
"It definitely took time to earn people's respect," added Mary-Kate.
According to Ashley, "We really want The Row to be an American luxury brand. We believe in not just American by representation, but American by make."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite