Mary Tyler Moore devastated by Valerie Harper's cancer news
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: Michael Tweed/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: JM11/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: Anonymous/Invision/AP4 of 8
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN5 of 8
- Photo: Stephen Chernin/Invision/AP6 of 8
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Mark Ballas and Derek Hough Try Flipping Houses in 'Mark & Derek's ExcelleMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:00:00 PM
- Judge Approves Los Angeles Clippers Sale to Steve Ballmer, Regardless of AppealMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:50:00 PM
- Fan Who Threatened Michael Strahan Claims His Lawyer Is Part of the IlluminatiMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:26:00 PM
- The Bachelorette Finale: Who Did Andi Choose?MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:05:00 PM
- 'Once Upon a Time' Expands 'Frozen' Cast With Tyler Jacob Moore MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 6:48:00 PM
- Mark Ballas and Derek Hough Try Flipping Houses in 'Mark & Derek's Excelle
Actress Mary Tyler Moore has reached out to offer support to her former TV co-star, Valerie Harper, after she was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.
Harper, who played Moore's best friend Rhoda Morgenstern on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," has been told she has just months to live after developing a rare condition called leptomeningeal carcinomatosis.
Moore, herself, underwent surgery in 2011 for a benign tumor in the membrane surrounding the brain, where Harper's malignant cancer cells are.
Now the 76-year-old has reacted to her friend's diagnosis, telling People.com, "I'm absolutely devastated by this news. Valerie has given so much joy, laughter and love to the world. I join her fans and send much love and positive thoughts to her and her family during this difficult time."
Harper insists Moore has been "a great girlfriend" in real life for decades, and she called her old pal up to tell her about her cancer one day before going public with the news on March 6, 2013.
Harper recalls, "She said, 'What's up?' I said, 'It's incurable cancer.' She said, 'Val, I'm so sorry...' Mary said, 'One day at a time. That's how we've got to live our lives. That's the best we can do.' I love her. ... I learned so much from her, and she shared so much."
Meanwhile, actress Roma Downey, who worked with Harper on TV drama "Touched by an Angel," has added her thoughts after learning the sad news, saying, "We’re going to keep her in our prayers. I love Valerie. I love working with her. She is a beautiful, wonderful, generous hearted woman."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite