Mary Tyler Moore devastated by Valerie Harper's cancer news
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: Michael Tweed/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: JM11/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: Anonymous/Invision/AP4 of 8
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN5 of 8
- Photo: Stephen Chernin/Invision/AP6 of 8
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 8
More Celeb News
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 4:18:23 PM
- Orel Hershiser Joining Dodgers TV Broadcast Team (Report)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:52:05 PM
- 'Metro Manila' Comes Out on Top at British Independent Film AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:46:27 PM
- Susan Boyle Calls Asperger's Diagnosis a ReliefMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 1:35:40 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: Felicity Jones Anything But an 'Invisible Woman' as DickMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 12:40:09 PM
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign
Actress Mary Tyler Moore has reached out to offer support to her former TV co-star, Valerie Harper, after she was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.
Harper, who played Moore's best friend Rhoda Morgenstern on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," has been told she has just months to live after developing a rare condition called leptomeningeal carcinomatosis.
Moore, herself, underwent surgery in 2011 for a benign tumor in the membrane surrounding the brain, where Harper's malignant cancer cells are.
Now the 76-year-old has reacted to her friend's diagnosis, telling People.com, "I'm absolutely devastated by this news. Valerie has given so much joy, laughter and love to the world. I join her fans and send much love and positive thoughts to her and her family during this difficult time."
Harper insists Moore has been "a great girlfriend" in real life for decades, and she called her old pal up to tell her about her cancer one day before going public with the news on March 6, 2013.
Harper recalls, "She said, 'What's up?' I said, 'It's incurable cancer.' She said, 'Val, I'm so sorry...' Mary said, 'One day at a time. That's how we've got to live our lives. That's the best we can do.' I love her. ... I learned so much from her, and she shared so much."
Meanwhile, actress Roma Downey, who worked with Harper on TV drama "Touched by an Angel," has added her thoughts after learning the sad news, saying, "We’re going to keep her in our prayers. I love Valerie. I love working with her. She is a beautiful, wonderful, generous hearted woman."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Malin Akerman, Courtney Love, and Florence Welch all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAdele's PDA
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite