Mary Tyler Moore devastated by Valerie Harper's cancer news
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: Michael Tweed/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: JM11/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: Anonymous/Invision/AP4 of 8
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN5 of 8
- Photo: Stephen Chernin/Invision/AP6 of 8
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Cate Blanchett Was Right: Women Making Little-to-No Progress in Landing Major Movie RolesMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:01:00 AM
- President Obama to Appear on Zach Galifianakis' 'Between Two Ferns'MSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 9:11:00 PM
- Oscar Winner '12 Years a Slave' Spikes 75% at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 8:59:00 PM
- Trophy Wife's Wedding Spectacular Promises Flashbacks and The MuppetsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 6:29:00 PM
- Stars From 'Justified,' 'Mad Men' Join Short Film 'WintMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 6:24:00 PM
- Cate Blanchett Was Right: Women Making Little-to-No Progress in Landing Major Movie Roles
Actress Mary Tyler Moore has reached out to offer support to her former TV co-star, Valerie Harper, after she was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.
Harper, who played Moore's best friend Rhoda Morgenstern on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," has been told she has just months to live after developing a rare condition called leptomeningeal carcinomatosis.
Moore, herself, underwent surgery in 2011 for a benign tumor in the membrane surrounding the brain, where Harper's malignant cancer cells are.
Now the 76-year-old has reacted to her friend's diagnosis, telling People.com, "I'm absolutely devastated by this news. Valerie has given so much joy, laughter and love to the world. I join her fans and send much love and positive thoughts to her and her family during this difficult time."
Harper insists Moore has been "a great girlfriend" in real life for decades, and she called her old pal up to tell her about her cancer one day before going public with the news on March 6, 2013.
Harper recalls, "She said, 'What's up?' I said, 'It's incurable cancer.' She said, 'Val, I'm so sorry...' Mary said, 'One day at a time. That's how we've got to live our lives. That's the best we can do.' I love her. ... I learned so much from her, and she shared so much."
Meanwhile, actress Roma Downey, who worked with Harper on TV drama "Touched by an Angel," has added her thoughts after learning the sad news, saying, "We’re going to keep her in our prayers. I love Valerie. I love working with her. She is a beautiful, wonderful, generous hearted woman."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Oscar nominee Lupita Nyong’o shares her awards season journey (and meetings with Oprah, Sidney Poitier and the Dalai Lama!) on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Drunk In Love
Jessica Simpon, Gisele Bundchen and more celebs share intimate pics of their partners on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite