Matt Lauer Apologizes to Former Intern Who Called Him 'Not So Nice'
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage3 of 11
- Photo: Bobby Bank/WireImage4 of 11
- Photo: Doug Meszler / Splash News/Splash News5 of 11
- Photo: Anonymous/Invision/AP6 of 11
- Photo: @MLauer/Twitter7 of 11
- Photo: Richard Drew/Invision/AP8 of 11
- Photo: WireImage.com9 of 11
- Photo: WENN.com/WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Katherine Heigl, Mindy Kaling, Ricky Gervais Among Stars Added to Emmy Presenters ListMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 10:23:00 AM
- Beyonce, Buckets and 'Bang, Bang' 13 Things to Expect at MTV's VMAsMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 10:12:00 AM
- Geoff Stults Lands Recurring Roles on The Odd Couple, Netflix's Grace and FrankieMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 10:04:00 AM
- Artist Christo says river project at a standstillMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 10:00:52 AM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Reviews: Was This Sequel Worth the Wait or 9 Years MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 9:57:00 AM
- Katherine Heigl, Mindy Kaling, Ricky Gervais Among Stars Added to Emmy Presenters List
Matt Lauer is finally ready to apologize -- to a former intern. The much-maligned "Today" show host made a public apology toward Mark Zinni, who interned at the show back in 1997, via Twitter on Tuesday.
"I was an intern there in '97, his first year on the job…how do I say this…? He was… not nice," Zinni tweeted at a friend earlier that day.
Several of the journalist's online friends and followers jumped at the reference to Lauer, asking Zinni to clarify his statement.
One of Mark Zinni's followers, Darren Sweeney, quoted Mark on Twitter: "'I was just a young kid with a bright future ahead of me,' @markzinni talking about internship at @todayshow and 'not so nice' @Mlauer." Mark retweeted this, and the direct mention on his Twitter feed caught Lauer's attention. The 55-year-old talk show co-host later took it upon himself to respond to the claims personally.
"Huh? Always tried to be nice Mark. Sorry you didn't think so," Lauer wrote in a tweet directed at Zinni. "Hope you're doing well. Matt."
Zinni, who is currently a Cleveland-based anchor and reporter, addressed the resulting media attention in a post to the Fox 8 website on Thursday, March 28.
"If you know me, you probably know that I don't take myself too seriously," he wrote, adding that he had "an amazing internship" at the "Today' show back in 1997. "So, my answer was more of a joke about being young and naive during my time at 'Today,' but I added that he wasn't nice to me."
"I didn't slam the guy, I just made an honest comment," he continued. "Bottom line, I was shocked Matt Lauer even bothered with me and, really, he remembers me? I'm flattered."
Zinni's comments about Lauer are just the latest in a series that have painted the veteran TV journalist in a less than flattering light. Earlier this week, Lauer made headlines after a New York magazine story revealed the true behind-the-scenes drama at the "Today" show surrounding Ann Curry's departure -- with Lauer seemingly in the middle of it all.
"Everybody at NBC, everybody at the 'Today' show, everybody understood that Ann was kicked out of her position because Matt didn't want her there," a prominent NBC staffer told New York writer Joe Hagan. "That's why it was so personal between Ann and Matt."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Fresh from their split, Hilary Duff vacations with husband Mike Comrie and their son on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite