Matt Lauer Was '100 Percent' Behind Ann Curry's Ouster from 'TODAY' Show
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 8
- Photo: Bobby Bank/WireImage2 of 8
- Photo: Derek Storm/Splash News3 of 8
- Photo: @MLauer/Twitter4 of 8
- Photo: Retna Digital5 of 8
- Photo: Invision/AP6 of 8
- Photo: Peter Kramer/KRAPE7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-HostMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Brett Ratner to Produce Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:39:00 PM
- Sherri Shepherd Joins Ice Cube, Kevin Hart in 'Ride Along 2' for First Post-&aMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- Comic-Con 'Zombie Walk' Accident: Fate of Next Year's Event Is UncertainMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter Signs New Overall Deal With 20th TVMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:00:00 PM
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-Host
There's a reason why Ann Curry didn't bother to hug co-host Matt Lauer during her tearful goodbye last Thursday on "TODAY."
After weeks of speculation, Curry, 55, was shown the door after just one year as co-host of NBC's smash morning show, which has been suffering from flagging ratings.
"Matt Lauer is 100 percent behind Ann leaving," a source tells Us Weekly. In the days leading up to her emotional on-air farewell, Curry (who joined the show in 1997 as news reader) and Lauer, 54, "were really icy to each other, and she refused to speak to him all week."
Indeed, the tension was palpable on-air to millions of viewers. "The body language was extremely tense," the insider points out. And her final day, says a second source, "was like a funeral in a way."
First announcing her departure from "TODAY" -- and a new, seven-year contract with NBC News to cover international stories across the network's various news programs -- to USA Today last Wednesday, Curry dimissed criticism that she and longtime host Lauer (who had successful on-air partnerships with both Katie Couric and Meredith Vieira) lacked chemistry.
"You know, Matt and I have had great on-air chemistry for 14 years, been part of the No. 1 winning team for a history-making number of years," she opined. "That said, I just finished my freshman year as co-host. In every single co-host's first year, there have been kinks to be worked out, and perhaps I deserve as much blame for that as anyone."
Curry's replacement, former White House Correspondent and 9 a.m. hour "TODAY" host Savannah Guthrie, was announced the following day.
Of Curry's job switch, NBC News president Steve Capus told the Hollywood Reporter: "I think ['TODAY'] was not where her real passion was, . . . In her heart of hearts, I think she would admit that. I think her real passion is built around reporting on international stories . . . I think we've now come up with a role that will play to her strengths."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite