Matthew Perry testifies in support of rehab programs
- Photo: Faye Sadou/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: WENN2 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Mark Davis/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 16
- Photo: Mike/Fame Flynet6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Perkins/Pacific Coast News7 of 16
- Photo: @matthewperry/Twitter8 of 16
- Photo: MAP/Splash News9 of 16
- Photo: Realtor.com via EOnline/.10 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: NBC/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Mark Davis/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: AXELLE WOUSSEN/Bauer-Griffin14 of 16
- Photo: CHRIS PIZZELLO/Invision/AP15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Meg Ryan Joins the Cast of How I Met Your DadMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus Gets It On with a Clown—On Camera—for GQMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Exclusive: Royal Pains Adds Alpha House Alum for Mysterious Recurring RoleMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 2:31:00 PM
- Apple Revenue Climbs to $45.6 Billion Thanks to Strong iPhone SalesMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 1:49:00 PM
- WWE's Stone Cold Steve Austin Slams 'Motherfkers' Who Don't AgreMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 1:03:00 PM
- Meg Ryan Joins the Cast of How I Met Your Dad
Matthew Perry shared his experience of drug abuse with officials in Washington, D.C. this week as he testified in support of specialist courts to deal with addicts.
RELATED: Stars who are aging in reverse
The former "Friends" star, who spent years battling an addiction to prescription pills, spoke in favor of programs to deal with non-violent criminal offenders with drug and alcohol problems.
Perry addressed the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies on Thursday and said drug courts are vital to help deal with the problem of addiction. He said, "Drug courts are the single most effective program for curing serious drug addicts for life-long recovery."
Speaking to reporters at the event, he joked his battle with drugs would prevent him from ever launching a political career: "I think I've been to rehab too many times to run for office."
He adds, "I do jump at any opportunity to come here and talk about (drug courts)... Any opportunity I get to talk about drug courts on a one-on-one level or a much bigger level -- like testifying in that scary room -- I grab at because it's just one of the few things that's a no-brainer: it saves lives, it saves money, it's bipartisan ... My life has a lot more meaning now that I try to help people. It's also a selfish thing -- it makes you feel better than anything else will."
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTLife in Pics
From Crowd Ignite