Matthew Perry testifies in support of rehab programs
- Photo: Faye Sadou/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: WENN2 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Mark Davis/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 16
- Photo: Mike/Fame Flynet6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Perkins/Pacific Coast News7 of 16
- Photo: @matthewperry/Twitter8 of 16
- Photo: MAP/Splash News9 of 16
- Photo: Realtor.com via EOnline/.10 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: NBC/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Mark Davis/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: AXELLE WOUSSEN/Bauer-Griffin14 of 16
- Photo: CHRIS PIZZELLO/Invision/AP15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Does Katherine Heigl Regret Leaving Grey's Anatomy? MSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 12:59:00 PM
- World Cup: Germany, Argentina Scoreless After First Half in FinalMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 12:50:00 PM
- Katherine Heigl Addresses Whether She's Difficult, After Some DifficultyMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 12:50:00 PM
- NBC Execs Talk Cosby, 'Hannibal,' and Not Griping About EmmysMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 11:50:00 AM
- Nickelodeon Canceling 'Sam & Cat' Amid Production DramaMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 11:48:00 AM
- Does Katherine Heigl Regret Leaving Grey's Anatomy?
Matthew Perry shared his experience of drug abuse with officials in Washington, D.C. this week as he testified in support of specialist courts to deal with addicts.
RELATED: Stars who are aging in reverse
The former "Friends" star, who spent years battling an addiction to prescription pills, spoke in favor of programs to deal with non-violent criminal offenders with drug and alcohol problems.
Perry addressed the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies on Thursday and said drug courts are vital to help deal with the problem of addiction. He said, "Drug courts are the single most effective program for curing serious drug addicts for life-long recovery."
Speaking to reporters at the event, he joked his battle with drugs would prevent him from ever launching a political career: "I think I've been to rehab too many times to run for office."
He adds, "I do jump at any opportunity to come here and talk about (drug courts)... Any opportunity I get to talk about drug courts on a one-on-one level or a much bigger level -- like testifying in that scary room -- I grab at because it's just one of the few things that's a no-brainer: it saves lives, it saves money, it's bipartisan ... My life has a lot more meaning now that I try to help people. It's also a selfish thing -- it makes you feel better than anything else will."
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
From Sofia Vergara to Zac Efron, check out who's coupling up on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Kesha's New Looks
See how Kesha's looks have changed since Rehab.Watch Video »
Get the scoop about the troubled star on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out Justin Timberlake, Kristen Bell and more stars enjoying summery activities -- from golf and tennis to romps on the beach and more!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTDad Duty
From Crowd Ignite