Matthew Perry testifies in support of rehab programs
- Photo: Faye Sadou/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: WENN2 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Mark Davis/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 16
- Photo: Mike/Fame Flynet6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Perkins/Pacific Coast News7 of 16
- Photo: @matthewperry/Twitter8 of 16
- Photo: MAP/Splash News9 of 16
- Photo: Realtor.com via EOnline/.10 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: NBC/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Mark Davis/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: AXELLE WOUSSEN/Bauer-Griffin14 of 16
- Photo: CHRIS PIZZELLO/Invision/AP15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Police have warrant in attempted Banksy theftMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 2:54:20 PM
- REPORT: Christian Bale is Going to be a Dad AgainMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 2:12:00 PM
- Nate Silver's FiveThirtyEight.Com Re-Launching This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 1:41:00 PM
- 'Nymphomaniac' Reviews: Is Lars von Triers' Latest Sexy or Stupid?MSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 1:15:00 PM
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92MSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 11:56:31 AM
- Police have warrant in attempted Banksy theft
Matthew Perry shared his experience of drug abuse with officials in Washington, D.C. this week as he testified in support of specialist courts to deal with addicts.
RELATED: Stars who are aging in reverse
The former "Friends" star, who spent years battling an addiction to prescription pills, spoke in favor of programs to deal with non-violent criminal offenders with drug and alcohol problems.
Perry addressed the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies on Thursday and said drug courts are vital to help deal with the problem of addiction. He said, "Drug courts are the single most effective program for curing serious drug addicts for life-long recovery."
Speaking to reporters at the event, he joked his battle with drugs would prevent him from ever launching a political career: "I think I've been to rehab too many times to run for office."
He adds, "I do jump at any opportunity to come here and talk about (drug courts)... Any opportunity I get to talk about drug courts on a one-on-one level or a much bigger level -- like testifying in that scary room -- I grab at because it's just one of the few things that's a no-brainer: it saves lives, it saves money, it's bipartisan ... My life has a lot more meaning now that I try to help people. It's also a selfish thing -- it makes you feel better than anything else will."
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
"Shahs of Sunset" star Reza Farahan talks about his recent outburst on the show, the future with his boyfriend Adam and more!Watch Video »
Miranda Kerr chats about this year's Victoria's Secret Fashion Show and more with Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite