Matthew Perry testifies in support of rehab programs
- Photo: Faye Sadou/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: WENN2 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Mark Davis/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 16
- Photo: Mike/Fame Flynet6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Perkins/Pacific Coast News7 of 16
- Photo: @matthewperry/Twitter8 of 16
- Photo: MAP/Splash News9 of 16
- Photo: Realtor.com via EOnline/.10 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: NBC/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Mark Davis/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: AXELLE WOUSSEN/Bauer-Griffin14 of 16
- Photo: CHRIS PIZZELLO/Invision/AP15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Debut Album Is Finally Coming Out In JuneMSNEntertainment 4/20/2014 10:57:00 AM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Spins $47 Million in Overseas Box-Office OpeningMSNEntertainment 4/20/2014 10:55:00 AM
- Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, Subject of Oscar-Nominated Film, Dead at 76MSNEntertainment 4/20/2014 9:26:00 AM
- 'Heaven Is for Real' Rides Faith-Based Wave to Big Easter Score at Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 4/20/2014 9:13:00 AM
- DWTS' NeNe Leakes Discusses Her and Tony's "Little Tiff"MSNEntertainment 4/20/2014 8:44:00 AM
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Debut Album Is Finally Coming Out In June
Matthew Perry shared his experience of drug abuse with officials in Washington, D.C. this week as he testified in support of specialist courts to deal with addicts.
RELATED: Stars who are aging in reverse
The former "Friends" star, who spent years battling an addiction to prescription pills, spoke in favor of programs to deal with non-violent criminal offenders with drug and alcohol problems.
Perry addressed the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies on Thursday and said drug courts are vital to help deal with the problem of addiction. He said, "Drug courts are the single most effective program for curing serious drug addicts for life-long recovery."
Speaking to reporters at the event, he joked his battle with drugs would prevent him from ever launching a political career: "I think I've been to rehab too many times to run for office."
He adds, "I do jump at any opportunity to come here and talk about (drug courts)... Any opportunity I get to talk about drug courts on a one-on-one level or a much bigger level -- like testifying in that scary room -- I grab at because it's just one of the few things that's a no-brainer: it saves lives, it saves money, it's bipartisan ... My life has a lot more meaning now that I try to help people. It's also a selfish thing -- it makes you feel better than anything else will."
Get the engagement scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's 2014 Royal Tour on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get the scoop inside Porsha Williams and Kenya Moore's fight and much more on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the details inside Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin's shocking split on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite