Melissa Gilbert Opens Up About Past Addiction
- Photo: Splash News1 of 6
- Photo: Charles Sykes/AP2 of 6
- Photo: Splash News3 of 6
- Photo: Scott Kirkland/Retna Digital4 of 6
- Photo: Retna Digital5 of 6
More Celeb News
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' Star Dylan O'Brien Eyed for DreamWorks&apoMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:48:07 PM
- Review: Spirited, sexy version of 'Master Builder'MSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:42:37 PM
- Lease to Broadway's biggest theater soldMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:31:38 PM
- Blossoming VOD Service Viewster Adds BBC's 'Skins,' Starz and Shine ProgrMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:26:11 PM
- Ray Manzarek Death: 5 Must-See Performances (Video)MSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:23:37 PM
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' Star Dylan O'Brien Eyed for DreamWorks&apo
Melissa Gilbert became one of America's most beloved child stars with her starring role on the long-running TV series "Little House on the Prairie." Now the actress is opening up about her alcohol addiction that developed in the shadow of her fame, and she discusses her own efforts to combat the abuse of prescription drugs by young people.
The former contestant on last season's "Dancing With the Stars" ended her run on "Little House on the Prairie" in 1983, and explains that she didn't have addiction problems until years later: "when I hit my late 30s, and my grandfather passed away and something in me just triggered, and I started having a hard time falling asleep." She reveals that at her worst, she was consuming about two bottles of wine per night in a bid to drown her pain.
Gilbert said that once she got sober, she was reluctant to even accept painkillers -- even after she broke her back while performing a stage musical production of "Little House" about a year-and-a-half before she did "DWTS" -- for fear that she would become addicted. She also suffered a concussion during the hit ABC dancing competition, but again said she did not turn to prescription pain pills.
Gilbert also said she had to deal with drug and alcohol addiction with her own kids, and she spoke about the huge problem of prescription drug addiction today, especially among youths. "This problem is so pervasive," she said. "But the thing that's at the heart of it that gets me is that when a parent finds out that their child has a drug problem, they immediately feel like it's just them."
The star said growing up today as a child star is dramatically different than when she was young. "There's something different now that didn't exist when I was growing up," she said. "Now everyone is a paparazzi. Everyone who has a phone can take a picture of you anywhere at any time, doing anything -- there is absolutely no privacy."
Gilbert currently works with the organization The Partnership at Drugfree.org, which seeks to help parents persuade their children not to try prescription drugs over the next five years.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite