Melissa Gilbert Opens Up About Past Addiction
- Photo: Splash News1 of 6
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP2 of 6
- Photo: Splash News3 of 6
- Photo: Scott Kirkland/Retna Digital4 of 6
- Photo: Retna Digital5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson, Says America Is 'Better Than That'MSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 4:43:00 PM
- Why Is California Tripling Film and TV Tax Credits While Other States Slash Them?MSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Venice Reviews: Michael Shannon's Indelible Performance in '99 Homes,' PlMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 4:23:00 PM
- Story of Frozen Special Reflects on Movie's Magic; Producer Confirms Broadway PlansMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 4:20:00 PM
- Martin Starr, Paul Wesley Movie 'Amira & Sam' Lands U.S. DistributionMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson, Says America Is 'Better Than That'
Melissa Gilbert became one of America's most beloved child stars with her starring role on the long-running TV series "Little House on the Prairie." Now the actress is opening up about her alcohol addiction that developed in the shadow of her fame, and she discusses her own efforts to combat the abuse of prescription drugs by young people.
The former contestant on last season's "Dancing With the Stars" ended her run on "Little House on the Prairie" in 1983, and explains that she didn't have addiction problems until years later: "when I hit my late 30s, and my grandfather passed away and something in me just triggered, and I started having a hard time falling asleep." She reveals that at her worst, she was consuming about two bottles of wine per night in a bid to drown her pain.
Gilbert said that once she got sober, she was reluctant to even accept painkillers -- even after she broke her back while performing a stage musical production of "Little House" about a year-and-a-half before she did "DWTS" -- for fear that she would become addicted. She also suffered a concussion during the hit ABC dancing competition, but again said she did not turn to prescription pain pills.
Gilbert also said she had to deal with drug and alcohol addiction with her own kids, and she spoke about the huge problem of prescription drug addiction today, especially among youths. "This problem is so pervasive," she said. "But the thing that's at the heart of it that gets me is that when a parent finds out that their child has a drug problem, they immediately feel like it's just them."
The star said growing up today as a child star is dramatically different than when she was young. "There's something different now that didn't exist when I was growing up," she said. "Now everyone is a paparazzi. Everyone who has a phone can take a picture of you anywhere at any time, doing anything -- there is absolutely no privacy."
Gilbert currently works with the organization The Partnership at Drugfree.org, which seeks to help parents persuade their children not to try prescription drugs over the next five years.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Search For Celebrity Santa
We're on the hunt for the celebrities who could potentially fill Santa's shoes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPup Power
From Crowd Ignite