Melissa McCarthy Designed her 'Wildly Comfortable' Emmys Dress
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com1 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com2 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com3 of 10
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: emmy.com/Promotional5 of 10
- Photo: Emmy.com/Promotional6 of 10
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/PacificCoastNews.com7 of 10
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com8 of 10
- Photo: AR5/ZJE/http://www.wenn.com/9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
"Mike & Molly" star Melissa McCarthy didn't fall in love with any Emmy dresses right off the rack, so the plus-sized fashionista designed her own!
"I designed [my dress] and I worked with Daniella Pearl, who is an amazing couture dressmaker," the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series winner, 41, told Us Weekly Sunday at the Emmys in L.A. "I just didn't see anything that I liked out there."
The Bridesmaids actress had some insight into the world of design. "I went to college for clothing and textiles and always thought I would design women's clothing," she said. "Then [I] ended up in New York thinking I was going to go FIT and I started doing standup. So how A went to B, I don't know!"
McCarthy, who said she's "always sewn," clarified to Us: "I did not sew this at all, but [Daniella Pearl and I] just kept sketching. It takes a village, and we came up with this and I love it. It has pockets, and I love that in a gown."
So was McCarthy dying to get out of her purple gown at the end of the night? Not at all! "It's wildly comfortable," she said.
When McCarthy was "crowned" Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, her fellow nominees -- Tina Fey, Laura Linney, Edie Falco, Martha Plimpton and Amy Poehler -- shared the stage with her. So who's idea was it? "I heard it first from Martha, but she said, 'Amy's got an idea!'" she explained. "I said, if Amy Poehler thinks something's funny, I'm going to do it!"
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite