Melissa McCarthy Designed her 'Wildly Comfortable' Emmys Dress
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com1 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com2 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com3 of 10
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: emmy.com/Promotional5 of 10
- Photo: Emmy.com/Promotional6 of 10
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/PacificCoastNews.com7 of 10
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com8 of 10
- Photo: AR5/ZJE/http://www.wenn.com/9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Casts 'All My Children' Vet MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 10:32:00 AM
- Aaron McGruder's 'Black Jesus' Somehow Draws Anger From Family GroupMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 10:10:00 AM
- Exclusive: General Hospital Supercouple Nancy Lee Grahn, William deVry Answer Fan QuestionsMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 8:59:00 AM
- Ratings: 'Extant' Drifts Down From Second EpisodeMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 8:56:00 AM
- Kelsey Grammer is a dad againMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 7:50:19 AM
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Casts 'All My Children' Vet
"Mike & Molly" star Melissa McCarthy didn't fall in love with any Emmy dresses right off the rack, so the plus-sized fashionista designed her own!
"I designed [my dress] and I worked with Daniella Pearl, who is an amazing couture dressmaker," the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series winner, 41, told Us Weekly Sunday at the Emmys in L.A. "I just didn't see anything that I liked out there."
The Bridesmaids actress had some insight into the world of design. "I went to college for clothing and textiles and always thought I would design women's clothing," she said. "Then [I] ended up in New York thinking I was going to go FIT and I started doing standup. So how A went to B, I don't know!"
McCarthy, who said she's "always sewn," clarified to Us: "I did not sew this at all, but [Daniella Pearl and I] just kept sketching. It takes a village, and we came up with this and I love it. It has pockets, and I love that in a gown."
So was McCarthy dying to get out of her purple gown at the end of the night? Not at all! "It's wildly comfortable," she said.
When McCarthy was "crowned" Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, her fellow nominees -- Tina Fey, Laura Linney, Edie Falco, Martha Plimpton and Amy Poehler -- shared the stage with her. So who's idea was it? "I heard it first from Martha, but she said, 'Amy's got an idea!'" she explained. "I said, if Amy Poehler thinks something's funny, I'm going to do it!"
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite