Melissa McCarthy Designed her 'Wildly Comfortable' Emmys Dress
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com1 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com2 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com3 of 10
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: emmy.com/Promotional5 of 10
- Photo: Emmy.com/Promotional6 of 10
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/PacificCoastNews.com7 of 10
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com8 of 10
- Photo: AR5/ZJE/http://www.wenn.com/9 of 10
More Celeb News
- La Scala's 'La Traviata' opener gets mixed reviewsMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 2:13:57 PM
- European Film Awards: 'The Great Beauty' Wins European Film 2013MSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 1:38:57 PM
- Kirstie Alley Blasts Leah Remini Over Scientology Criticism: She's a 'Bigot&apMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 12:00:42 PM
- La Scala remembers Mandela at season openerMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 11:10:16 AM
- 'Downton Abbey' Christmas Special Teaser: Shirley MacLaine and Paul Giamatti Are NMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 11:07:03 AM
- La Scala's 'La Traviata' opener gets mixed reviews
"Mike & Molly" star Melissa McCarthy didn't fall in love with any Emmy dresses right off the rack, so the plus-sized fashionista designed her own!
"I designed [my dress] and I worked with Daniella Pearl, who is an amazing couture dressmaker," the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series winner, 41, told Us Weekly Sunday at the Emmys in L.A. "I just didn't see anything that I liked out there."
The Bridesmaids actress had some insight into the world of design. "I went to college for clothing and textiles and always thought I would design women's clothing," she said. "Then [I] ended up in New York thinking I was going to go FIT and I started doing standup. So how A went to B, I don't know!"
McCarthy, who said she's "always sewn," clarified to Us: "I did not sew this at all, but [Daniella Pearl and I] just kept sketching. It takes a village, and we came up with this and I love it. It has pockets, and I love that in a gown."
So was McCarthy dying to get out of her purple gown at the end of the night? Not at all! "It's wildly comfortable," she said.
When McCarthy was "crowned" Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, her fellow nominees -- Tina Fey, Laura Linney, Edie Falco, Martha Plimpton and Amy Poehler -- shared the stage with her. So who's idea was it? "I heard it first from Martha, but she said, 'Amy's got an idea!'" she explained. "I said, if Amy Poehler thinks something's funny, I'm going to do it!"
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite