Melissa McCarthy Designed her 'Wildly Comfortable' Emmys Dress
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com1 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com2 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com3 of 10
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: emmy.com/Promotional5 of 10
- Photo: Emmy.com/Promotional6 of 10
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/PacificCoastNews.com7 of 10
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com8 of 10
- Photo: AR5/ZJE/http://www.wenn.com/9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Driving Record Memorial Day Weekend at Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 5/25/2013 7:34:58 AM
- Good Morning, Cannes: From Bloody Fun to Bloody SchlockMSNEntertainment 5/25/2013 6:55:12 AM
- PowerGrid's Biggest Movers of the Week: Chris Pine, Noah Baumbach's Projects BoostMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 6:42:06 PM
- Aviva Drescher Signs on to 'Real Housewives of New York' (Again)MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 6:41:10 PM
- Ryan Seacrest, Simon Cowell React to Mentor Mike Darnell's Fox Exit MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 5:34:30 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Driving Record Memorial Day Weekend at Box Office
"Mike & Molly" star Melissa McCarthy didn't fall in love with any Emmy dresses right off the rack, so the plus-sized fashionista designed her own!
"I designed [my dress] and I worked with Daniella Pearl, who is an amazing couture dressmaker," the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series winner, 41, told Us Weekly Sunday at the Emmys in L.A. "I just didn't see anything that I liked out there."
The Bridesmaids actress had some insight into the world of design. "I went to college for clothing and textiles and always thought I would design women's clothing," she said. "Then [I] ended up in New York thinking I was going to go FIT and I started doing standup. So how A went to B, I don't know!"
McCarthy, who said she's "always sewn," clarified to Us: "I did not sew this at all, but [Daniella Pearl and I] just kept sketching. It takes a village, and we came up with this and I love it. It has pockets, and I love that in a gown."
So was McCarthy dying to get out of her purple gown at the end of the night? Not at all! "It's wildly comfortable," she said.
When McCarthy was "crowned" Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, her fellow nominees -- Tina Fey, Laura Linney, Edie Falco, Martha Plimpton and Amy Poehler -- shared the stage with her. So who's idea was it? "I heard it first from Martha, but she said, 'Amy's got an idea!'" she explained. "I said, if Amy Poehler thinks something's funny, I'm going to do it!"
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
- 7 Wonders for May 24, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 23, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 22, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 21, 2013
- 7 of Rihanna's Worst Looks
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 17, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 16, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 15, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 14, 2013
- 7 Most Outrageous Gwyneth Paltrow Quotes
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 10, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 9, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 8, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 7, 2013
- 7 Best Bikini Bods
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 3, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 2, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 1, 2013
Who Am I?
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Khloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite