Melissa McCarthy Designed her 'Wildly Comfortable' Emmys Dress
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com1 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com2 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com3 of 10
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: emmy.com/Promotional5 of 10
- Photo: Emmy.com/Promotional6 of 10
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/PacificCoastNews.com7 of 10
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com8 of 10
- Photo: AR5/ZJE/http://www.wenn.com/9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Cheryl Cole Reunites With Simon Cowell for 'X Factor' UKMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:34:00 PM
- Fox Reorganizes Development and Programming DepartmentsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Dan Harmon and Mitch Hurwitz Are Working on a Super-Secret ProjectMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Sean Combs Bids Reported $200 Million for Fuse TV NetworkMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:12:00 PM
- Psych's James Roday to Star in CBS Relationship Comedy PilotMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:07:00 PM
- Cheryl Cole Reunites With Simon Cowell for 'X Factor' UK
"Mike & Molly" star Melissa McCarthy didn't fall in love with any Emmy dresses right off the rack, so the plus-sized fashionista designed her own!
"I designed [my dress] and I worked with Daniella Pearl, who is an amazing couture dressmaker," the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series winner, 41, told Us Weekly Sunday at the Emmys in L.A. "I just didn't see anything that I liked out there."
The Bridesmaids actress had some insight into the world of design. "I went to college for clothing and textiles and always thought I would design women's clothing," she said. "Then [I] ended up in New York thinking I was going to go FIT and I started doing standup. So how A went to B, I don't know!"
McCarthy, who said she's "always sewn," clarified to Us: "I did not sew this at all, but [Daniella Pearl and I] just kept sketching. It takes a village, and we came up with this and I love it. It has pockets, and I love that in a gown."
So was McCarthy dying to get out of her purple gown at the end of the night? Not at all! "It's wildly comfortable," she said.
When McCarthy was "crowned" Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, her fellow nominees -- Tina Fey, Laura Linney, Edie Falco, Martha Plimpton and Amy Poehler -- shared the stage with her. So who's idea was it? "I heard it first from Martha, but she said, 'Amy's got an idea!'" she explained. "I said, if Amy Poehler thinks something's funny, I'm going to do it!"
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Oscar nominee Lupita Nyong’o shares her awards season journey (and meetings with Oprah, Sidney Poitier and the Dalai Lama!) on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Drunk In Love
Jessica Simpon, Gisele Bundchen and more celebs share intimate pics of their partners on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite