Mindy Kaling on Elle cover critics: I feel like they're insulting me
- Photo: Elle1 of 18
- Photo: Carter Smith/Elle2 of 18
- Photo: @MindyKaling/Instagram3 of 18
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 18
- Photo: BEImages/Jim Smeal/Rex USA5 of 18
- Photo: Getty Images North America6 of 18
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP7 of 18
- Photo: Byron Purvis/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.8 of 18
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage9 of 18
- Photo: Michael Kovac/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: Mario Santoro/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.11 of 18
- Photo: Scott Kirkland/Retna Digital12 of 18
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN13 of 18
- Photo: HRC/WENN14 of 18
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN15 of 18
- Photo: Shea Walsh/Invision/AP16 of 18
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP17 of 18
More Celeb News
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its VideosMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:42:00 PM
- TV Presidents Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis Dreyfus Tangle With 'Fargo's' BilMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:40:00 PM
- NBC's 'Aquarius' Books 'The Originals' Alum Claire HoltMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Will Be Darker and 'a Lot Less PatiMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:12:00 PM
- 'The Simpsons' Producer James L. Brooks Signs With WMEMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its Videos
Apparently everyone except Mindy Kaling was upset by her Elle cover. The "Mindy Project" star appeared "The Late Show with David Letterman" on Jan. 9, and defended her new magazine photo against her so-called supporters.
"I was for the first time on the cover of a fashion magazine, which is such an awesome, nice thing," Kaling, 34, told host David Letterman of the controversy. "I saw the cover. ... I thought I look so beautiful. I thought, 'Wow, I've never looked better.' I feel like I look like a movie star on it."
Those feelings, however, were not shared by her fans and Elle magazine readers.
"There was a weird reaction which was, 'Does Elle magazine think Mindy's not skinny enough to show her whole body like standing up from head to toe?'" Kaling explained. "The sort of implication, what they kept saying was like, 'What Elle, you can't put her big fat body on the magazine? Why because she's just fat and gruesome? Why shouldn't we look at her beautiful fat body?'"
"And I was like, 'Okay, people who are trying to defend me,'" the actress quipped. "I just feel like they're kind of insulting me!"
Kaling was one of four women featured on the cover of Elle's "Women in TV issue." Her cover photo, however, was the only headshot rather than almost-full body image used.
But the "Office" alumna said she couldn't be more pleased with how her cover turned out.
"It's black and white. It looks like I died at my most beautiful," she joked. "It looks like this is a dead person that they're like, 'How could we have taken her away at so young. If only a million dollars for another second with this ..."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite