Mindy Kaling talks 'backhanded compliments,' being compared to a 'sea monster'
- Photo: Birdie Thompson/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 15
- Photo: Norman Jean Roy/Vogue2 of 15
- Photo: GettyImages.com3 of 15
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN4 of 15
- Photo: @mindykaling/Instagram5 of 15
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 15
- Photo: Michael Buckner/Getty Images North America7 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage8 of 15
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage9 of 15
- Photo: Carter Smith/Elle10 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage11 of 15
- Photo: Getty Images North America12 of 15
- Photo: Mario Santoro/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.13 of 15
- Photo: HRC/WENN14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Kelsey Grammer is a dad againMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 7:50:19 AM
- Shia LaBeouf given plea deal deadline in courtMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 7:27:09 AM
- Do Supernatural Shows Need a Human Element?MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 7:14:00 AM
- Natalie Imbruglia turning to online datingMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 6:57:35 AM
- Kevin McHale shocked by racy quiz showMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 6:44:49 AM
- Kelsey Grammer is a dad again
Fans of Mindy Kaling can always expect her to tell it like it is, but in a March 31 appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live," the "Mindy Project" star, 34, revealed that sometimes her fans don't always have the best reactions to her "inspirational" comments.
"I am the recipient of a lot of backhanded compliments," Kaling told Kimmel. "They'll say, 'It's so nice that Mindy Kaling doesn't feel she needs to subscribe to the ideals of beauty.' And I'm like, 'I do subscribe!' They're like, 'It's so refreshing that Mindy feels comfortable to let herself go and be a fat sea monster.'"
After her interview in Vogue, in which she said, "I never need to be skinny. I don't want to be skinny. I'm constantly in a state of self-improvement, but I don't beat myself up over it," Kaling is frustrated that she gives off the illusion of being a coach potato.
"The way they talk about it, it's like she's a pioneer because she's glued to her sofa," the former "Office" star continued, speaking about herself in the third person. "By the way, I run and work out, it takes a lot of effort to be a normal slash chubby woman."
The self-proclaimed "fluctuating size 10" said she struggles with encouraging women to embrace their bodies versus encouraging women to be unhealthy.
"You don't want to be the face of stay-puffed marshmallows," she quipped. "It's hard when you're a narcissistic, vain person, but you also want to be a role model."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite