Mindy Kaling talks 'backhanded compliments,' being compared to a 'sea monster'
- Photo: Birdie Thompson/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 15
- Photo: Norman Jean Roy/Vogue2 of 15
- Photo: GettyImages.com3 of 15
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN4 of 15
- Photo: @mindykaling/Instagram5 of 15
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 15
- Photo: Michael Buckner/Getty Images North America7 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage8 of 15
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage9 of 15
- Photo: Carter Smith/Elle10 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage11 of 15
- Photo: Getty Images North America12 of 15
- Photo: Mario Santoro/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.13 of 15
- Photo: HRC/WENN14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Exclusive: Showtime to Launch Ray Donovan WebisodesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 7:00:00 AM
- The Following's Warren Kole Joins StalkerMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:58:00 AM
- Earnings: Discovery Beats Q2 EstimatesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:55:00 AM
- Iggy Azalea Has a Cameo in Fast & Furious 7MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:39:00 AM
- Time Warner Cable Q2 Earnings Rise, But Miss EstimatesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:33:00 AM
- Exclusive: Showtime to Launch Ray Donovan Webisodes
Fans of Mindy Kaling can always expect her to tell it like it is, but in a March 31 appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live," the "Mindy Project" star, 34, revealed that sometimes her fans don't always have the best reactions to her "inspirational" comments.
"I am the recipient of a lot of backhanded compliments," Kaling told Kimmel. "They'll say, 'It's so nice that Mindy Kaling doesn't feel she needs to subscribe to the ideals of beauty.' And I'm like, 'I do subscribe!' They're like, 'It's so refreshing that Mindy feels comfortable to let herself go and be a fat sea monster.'"
After her interview in Vogue, in which she said, "I never need to be skinny. I don't want to be skinny. I'm constantly in a state of self-improvement, but I don't beat myself up over it," Kaling is frustrated that she gives off the illusion of being a coach potato.
"The way they talk about it, it's like she's a pioneer because she's glued to her sofa," the former "Office" star continued, speaking about herself in the third person. "By the way, I run and work out, it takes a lot of effort to be a normal slash chubby woman."
The self-proclaimed "fluctuating size 10" said she struggles with encouraging women to embrace their bodies versus encouraging women to be unhealthy.
"You don't want to be the face of stay-puffed marshmallows," she quipped. "It's hard when you're a narcissistic, vain person, but you also want to be a role model."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSad News
From Crowd Ignite