Mindy Kaling talks 'backhanded compliments,' being compared to a 'sea monster'
- Photo: Birdie Thompson/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 15
- Photo: Norman Jean Roy/Vogue2 of 15
- Photo: GettyImages.com3 of 15
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN4 of 15
- Photo: @mindykaling/Instagram5 of 15
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 15
- Photo: Michael Buckner/Getty Images North America7 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage8 of 15
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage9 of 15
- Photo: Carter Smith/Elle10 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage11 of 15
- Photo: Getty Images North America12 of 15
- Photo: Mario Santoro/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.13 of 15
- Photo: HRC/WENN14 of 15
More Celeb News
- 'The Simpsons' Producer James L. Brooks Signs With WMEMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Jim Gaffigan's CBS Pilot Gets Series Order From TV LandMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 3:51:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: A Once Connection, Sons' Final Ride, and a Big Grey's DecisionMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 3:42:00 PM
- Judd Apatow Hires 'South Park's' Pam Brady to Rewrite 'Business MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 3:36:00 PM
- CW's 'Flash' Adds 'Rake's' Kelly Frye as SuperMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 3:25:00 PM
- 'The Simpsons' Producer James L. Brooks Signs With WME
Fans of Mindy Kaling can always expect her to tell it like it is, but in a March 31 appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live," the "Mindy Project" star, 34, revealed that sometimes her fans don't always have the best reactions to her "inspirational" comments.
"I am the recipient of a lot of backhanded compliments," Kaling told Kimmel. "They'll say, 'It's so nice that Mindy Kaling doesn't feel she needs to subscribe to the ideals of beauty.' And I'm like, 'I do subscribe!' They're like, 'It's so refreshing that Mindy feels comfortable to let herself go and be a fat sea monster.'"
After her interview in Vogue, in which she said, "I never need to be skinny. I don't want to be skinny. I'm constantly in a state of self-improvement, but I don't beat myself up over it," Kaling is frustrated that she gives off the illusion of being a coach potato.
"The way they talk about it, it's like she's a pioneer because she's glued to her sofa," the former "Office" star continued, speaking about herself in the third person. "By the way, I run and work out, it takes a lot of effort to be a normal slash chubby woman."
The self-proclaimed "fluctuating size 10" said she struggles with encouraging women to embrace their bodies versus encouraging women to be unhealthy.
"You don't want to be the face of stay-puffed marshmallows," she quipped. "It's hard when you're a narcissistic, vain person, but you also want to be a role model."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVegas Turn Up
From Crowd Ignite