Mindy Kaling talks 'backhanded compliments,' being compared to a 'sea monster'
- Photo: Birdie Thompson/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 15
- Photo: Norman Jean Roy/Vogue2 of 15
- Photo: GettyImages.com3 of 15
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN4 of 15
- Photo: @mindykaling/Instagram5 of 15
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 15
- Photo: Michael Buckner/Getty Images North America7 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage8 of 15
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage9 of 15
- Photo: Carter Smith/Elle10 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage11 of 15
- Photo: Getty Images North America12 of 15
- Photo: Mario Santoro/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.13 of 15
- Photo: HRC/WENN14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:58:00 PM
- ESPN's SEC Network Scores Carriage Deal With Time Warner Cable, Bright HouseMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:48:00 PM
- Museums plan Piero di Cosimo exhibit in US, ItalyMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:37:49 PM
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Offer Early Look at 'Interstellar'MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Dwayne Johnson holds surprise 'Hercules' screeningMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:16:28 PM
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season
Fans of Mindy Kaling can always expect her to tell it like it is, but in a March 31 appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live," the "Mindy Project" star, 34, revealed that sometimes her fans don't always have the best reactions to her "inspirational" comments.
"I am the recipient of a lot of backhanded compliments," Kaling told Kimmel. "They'll say, 'It's so nice that Mindy Kaling doesn't feel she needs to subscribe to the ideals of beauty.' And I'm like, 'I do subscribe!' They're like, 'It's so refreshing that Mindy feels comfortable to let herself go and be a fat sea monster.'"
After her interview in Vogue, in which she said, "I never need to be skinny. I don't want to be skinny. I'm constantly in a state of self-improvement, but I don't beat myself up over it," Kaling is frustrated that she gives off the illusion of being a coach potato.
"The way they talk about it, it's like she's a pioneer because she's glued to her sofa," the former "Office" star continued, speaking about herself in the third person. "By the way, I run and work out, it takes a lot of effort to be a normal slash chubby woman."
The self-proclaimed "fluctuating size 10" said she struggles with encouraging women to embrace their bodies versus encouraging women to be unhealthy.
"You don't want to be the face of stay-puffed marshmallows," she quipped. "It's hard when you're a narcissistic, vain person, but you also want to be a role model."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon shows off a new cheetah print hairstyle on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite