- Photo: Pacific Coast News1 of 6
- Photo: Dziekan/Retna Digital2 of 6
- Photo: Peter Kramer/AP3 of 6
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: Splash News5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Mariah Carey Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction During 'Good Morning America' AppearanceMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 12:09:41 PM
- Cannes: French Comedy 'Me Myself and Mum' Tops Directors' FortnightMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 11:29:11 AM
- 'Katie' Gets Latest in Series of Executive ProducersMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 11:03:01 AM
- D.C. Broadcasters Sue Aerokiller for Copyright InfringementMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 10:52:57 AM
- Relativity, Weinstein Co. Negotiating to Acquire Troubled 'Jane Got a Gun'MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 10:47:49 AM
- Mariah Carey Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction During 'Good Morning America' Appearance
On Friday's "The View," Mischa Barton got flustered when asked about her recent hospitalization.
Although she admitted she was "completely overwhelmed" by life, the "Beautiful Life" star, 23, called her hospitalization "silly."
"I mean, really it was blown out of proportion, so it's kind of silly now to be talking about it because I'm so fine now, but it was really just a bad time for me," she said. "It was sort of one of those things that was like a perfect storm. Everything happened at once."
When Barbara Walters pointed out that she was placed in a psychiatric ward, Barton shifted gears, blaming it all on dental work.
"Right, I mean, it was just ... I was overwhelmed," she said. "I had too much work going on. I had a surgery for my wisdom teeth that went really badly. I had been in the hospital. I had two surgeries on my wisdom teeth. I had four taken out, and they had gotten it really badly wrong. They had to drill into my jaw and I was just in really excruciating pain."
She continued, "I had an infection and a dry socket, and I woke up on a Sunday morning and there was no doctor available. I was trying to take the minimum amount of painkillers and get through it because I had to go to work soon and I was getting ready to go do this show, 'The Beautiful Life,' and meanwhile I still had a schedule to travel. I was going to Europe. I was going to London. I had things to do, and I was prepping to do photo shoots, and I was just overwhelmed. I had so much work to do and the surgery had gone so badly for me. And I think that I was just starting to feel completely overwhelmed. It was just too much to have this surgery go so wrong."
Why, then, was she put in a psychiatric hospital if her pain was physical, Joy Behar asked.
"When they take you into the hospital for something when it goes really wrong if you're having a meltdown and you say something like, 'I feel like I want to die,' ... they start injecting you with things to calm down," she explained. "Like, I'm petrified of needles. Like, absolutely petrified ... you can't come anywhere ... I had my blood drawn once in my life, for my insurance."
Barton said she is doing better these days.
"I just figure that if you hit rock bottom like that ... and you're around people, you know, you realize 'I'm nothing like these people,'" she said. "I have a career; I worked so hard for it. I'm such a positive person, and I really ... I think you can overcome anything, and for me having that kind of chronic pain for the first time in my life, like being in serious pain was such a wakeup call because, you know, I've seen friends go though terrible, terrible pain, and I've worked in hospitals and never experienced it myself. And I have such a newfound respect for people who live with that kind of pain, and I think it was just a wake-up call for me about life and respecting life so much more."
More on Wonderwall:
More on Usmagazine.com:
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite