Mischa Barton: 'I suffer from depression'
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com1 of 6
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 6
- Photo: ANG/Fame Pictures4 of 6
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com5 of 6
More Celeb News
- La Scala's 'La Traviata' opener gets mixed reviewsMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 2:13:57 PM
- European Film Awards: 'The Great Beauty' Wins European Film 2013MSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 1:38:57 PM
- Kirstie Alley Blasts Leah Remini Over Scientology Criticism: She's a 'Bigot&apMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 12:00:42 PM
- La Scala remembers Mandela at season openerMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 11:10:16 AM
- 'Downton Abbey' Christmas Special Teaser: Shirley MacLaine and Paul Giamatti Are NMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 11:07:03 AM
- La Scala's 'La Traviata' opener gets mixed reviews
By Jen Odell
Between checking herself into a psychiatric clinic and being teased mercilessly in the press for her ... unique fashion sense, Mischa Barton has had a tough run of things since the beginning of 2009.
"That was a tumultuous year. It was one thing after another, and it led to a pretty reasonable breakdown," she tells the U.K. edition of OK! Magazine for its latest issue (via ONTD).
"I suffer from depression and that's the truth. I've never told anybody that."
Barton, whose career has faltered somewhat since her "O.C." heyday, is quick to point out that dealing with depression doesn't mean she can't deal with life.
"I am by no means mentally unstable," she says. "Well I am pretty crazy and weird sometimes, but not mentally unstable."
The 24-year-old actress, who has been dating British DJ Ali Love for the better part of a year and has a few film projects in the hopper for 2010 and 2011 release, tells OK! that staying positive is what keeps her going.
RELATED: Mischa's rumor-plagued night out
"I balance [depression] with positive things in my life and that's why I have my outlets of music and literature," says Barton. "As much as I get down, I'm an upbeat person. People always think of me as kind of a light in a room. I love to make people laugh."
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGrammy Nominees
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite