Naya Rivera releases statement on Cory Monteith's death
- Photo: Henry Lamb/Photowire / BEImages/Rex USA1 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/Invision/AP2 of 16
- Photo: BT1/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Xavier Collin / Retna Ltd./Wonderwall4 of 16
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks5 of 16
- Photo: @nayarivera/Instagram6 of 16
- Photo: Byron Purvis/Retna Ltd.7 of 16
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage8 of 16
- Photo: Scylla/CHARYBDIS/Fame Flynet9 of 16
- Photo: Matt Baron / BEImages/Rex USA10 of 16
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: AXELLE WOUSSEN/Wonderwall14 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Emmys Chief on Fishy Category Entries: 'We Definitely Need to Look at It'MSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 11:14:00 AM
- NBC at TCAs: All the Latest NewsMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 11:07:00 AM
- NBC Chief's 3 Pieces of Advice for for the Next Head of FoxMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 9:56:00 AM
- Shakira Ready to Kick Off World Cup Closing CeremonyMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 9:22:00 AM
- Christopher Walken to Play Tap-Dancing Captain Hook in 'Peter Pan Live'MSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 9:00:00 AM
- Emmys Chief on Fishy Category Entries: 'We Definitely Need to Look at It'
As the news of Cory Monteith's sudden, shocking death settles in, the "Glee" star's friends and family are grieving his loss. Naya Rivera, who appeared with Monteith on FOX's hit musical series and also co-hosted the GLAAD Media Awards with him in March 2012, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter that he was more than just a co-star to her.
"The entire 'Glee' family and I are deeply saddened by this tragedy," she said on Monday. "Cory was and always will be a part of my own family and a good friend. He was a special part of this world and will forever be missed."
"My heart goes out to Cory's family and Lea," she continued, referring to the actor's co-star and girlfriend, Lea Michele, "and while we are grateful for everyone's well wishes, privacy during this time of grief is greatly appreciated."
Monteith, 31, was found dead in his hotel room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia, on July 13. The British Columbia coroner's office confirmed on Tuesday that his death was caused by a lethal mix of heroin and alcohol.
After Vancouver police confirmed the tragedy in a press conference late Saturday night, tributes to Monteith began pouring in on Twitter. Among other "Glee" stars to express their grief were Dot Marie Jones, Kristin Chenoweth and Lauren Potter.
"I am totally heartbroken right now. I love Cory so much this hurts my heart," Potter, who plays Becky Jackson, tweeted. "Cory was always so nice to me. I have so many good memories."
"Glee" star Matthew Morrison, a.k.a. Mr. Schuester, also paid tribute to his friend, during his "Up Close and Personal" show at 54 Below in New York on July 14. "Matt came out before the show started and said, 'We lost a great young man too soon,'" a source told Us Weekly of the performance. "He said Cory was a beautiful person." Then he told the crowd, "You came out to see a show, I came out to do one, so let's honor Cory with this performance."
At one point, Morrison, 34, dedicated a song to Monteith: "What I Did for Love," from the Broadway classic "A Chorus Line." "He was very emotional onstage," the source told Us. "It was difficult for him to get up to perform, but he did not want to disappoint anyone."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
From Sofia Vergara to Zac Efron, check out who's coupling up on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Get the scoop about the troubled star on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez brings the glam while spending time with her fam at Paris Fashion Week on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Justin Timberlake, Kristen Bell and more stars enjoying summery activities -- from golf and tennis to romps on the beach and more!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTDad Duty
From Crowd Ignite