Nicole Richie's Wedding Elephant Explained
- Photo: Jay Valena/Retna Digital1 of 7
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com2 of 7
- Photo: Kristian Dowling/Invision/AP3 of 7
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com4 of 7
- Photo: Splash News5 of 7
- Photo: MZA/ZOJ/WENN6 of 7
More Celeb News
- TheWrap's Reactions to 'Fifty Shades of Grey' First Trailer: The Amused, MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 3:44:00 PM
- 'Teen Wolf' Renewed for Season 5MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 3:44:00 PM
- Reign's "Haunted" Season 2: An "Awkward" Marriage and KMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 3:33:00 PM
- NYT Best-Selling Author James Patterson Signs First-Look Deal With CBS TV StudiosMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 3:30:00 PM
- Marriage, power and sex rule CW's 'Reign' season 2MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 3:28:34 PM
- TheWrap's Reactions to 'Fifty Shades of Grey' First Trailer: The Amused,
Folks were baffled Saturday when an elephant with an elaborate headdress was seen entering the premises of Lionel Richie's Beverly Hills estate -- where 150 guests watched his daughter and Madden exchange vows.
The answer lies in an interview Richie, 29, gave way back in November 2005, when she was then engaged to marry the late DJ A.M. (real name: Adam Goldstein).
On "Larry King Live," she told guest host Ryan Seacrest all about her wedding plans. "I want to have a very, very big wedding. I want it to be very extravagant. I want like hundreds of people and elephants ... and a horse and carriage."
Befuddled, Seacrest asked about the inclusion of elephants. "Because elephants are really good luck," Richie explained. "And they're beautiful animals. You don't think?"
To illustrate, she added: "You know, the movie 'Coming to America,'" in which Eddie Murphy plays an African prince who has a beyond-lavish wedding with elephants and many other creatures.
"I want it bigger than that," she said.
Elephant or not, Richie's actual nuptials were slightly more low-key. Richie wore three different Marchesa outfits for the black-tie, winter-themed event, attended by celeb pals like Khloe Kardashian and Samantha Ronson. Rapper-minister Rev. Run officiated the ceremony, and guests dined on goodies like homemade butternut squash ravioli, filet mignon and a dessert buffet.
"It was awesome!" a guest told Us.
More on Wonderwall:
More from UsWeekly:
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStar Gaze
From Crowd Ignite