Nina Dobrev, Ian Somerhalder joke about breakup, chemistry at People's Choice Awards
- Photo: Frank Micelotta/Invision/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage2 of 9
- Photo: MWB/BSB/ZOJ/WENN3 of 9
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com4 of 9
- Photo: John Sciulli/Getty Images North America5 of 9
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News6 of 9
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com7 of 9
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com8 of 9
More Celeb News
- FX Boss John Landgraf Clarifies 'True Detective' Remark Calm Down People, He&MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Auschwitz Selfie' Outrage: But You're Supposed to Take PicturesMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 3:41:00 PM
- Marvel Announces Another 2018 ReleaseMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 3:08:00 PM
- Tommy Lee Jones Joins Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman in 'Criminal'MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 2:45:00 PM
- 'Gotham' Creator on Why Batman Would Spell the End of the ShowMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 2:24:00 PM
- FX Boss John Landgraf Clarifies 'True Detective' Remark Calm Down People, He&
Delena forever! Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder may have broken up, but fans aren't quite ready to let go of their relationship -- or the relationship between their "Vampire Diaries" characters, Elena Gilbert and Damon Salvatore. The co-stars, and real-life exes, beat out four other beloved TV couples for the "Favorite Onscreen Chemistry" honor at the 40th Annual People's Choice Awards on Jan. 8.
Taking the stage to accept their trophy, 24-year-old Dobrev and 35-year-old Somerhalder riffed adorably on their shared history. "Wow, this is crazy!" the actor began. "Can you believe this is almost five years in the making?"
"You're right, yeah!" his ex replied. "But you know what's funny, Ian, is that at the beginning of the show, Elena actually hated Damon."
"You were hooking up with my brother!" he retorted, referring to Elena's epic romance with Stefan Salvatore (played by Paul Wesley).
"Well, you killed my brother," she countered.
Eventually, of course, their characters moved past those obstacles and fell in love. As did Somerhalder and Dobrev.
"We started dating in real life," he said.
"And then we broke up in real life," she added.
"And yet our characters are still dating on the show," he continued.
"It's a good thing it's not awkward!" she joked, as the two shuffled away from each other and pretended to look uncomfortably at the floor. Then, amid laughs from the crowd, they held up their trophy and quipped, "It's a good thing we have chemistry!"
Fans roared with approval, and Somerhalder pulled his ex close to give her a kiss on the cheek.
The couple, who took their romance public in 2011, called it quits last May after more than three years of dating. A source told Us Weekly exclusively at the time that they would "continue to work together and remain best friends, which is where the relationship started."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite