Nina Dobrev, Ian Somerhalder joke about breakup, chemistry at People's Choice Awards
- Photo: Frank Micelotta/Invision/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage2 of 9
- Photo: MWB/BSB/ZOJ/WENN3 of 9
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com4 of 9
- Photo: John Sciulli/Getty Images North America5 of 9
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News6 of 9
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com7 of 9
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Tarantino's 'Hateful 8' Teaser Basically Just Lists Names of His CharacteMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 6:24:00 AM
- Jason Katims Developing Medical Drama for CBSMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 6:08:00 AM
- Dating Naked Contestant Sues VH1 for Airing Crotch ShotMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 6:05:00 AM
- 5 Freaky Facts From Fractured Summer Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 5:00:00 AM
- 'Big Brother' Live Eviction: Julie Chen Takes ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, HouseguestMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 2:21:00 AM
- Tarantino's 'Hateful 8' Teaser Basically Just Lists Names of His Characte
Delena forever! Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder may have broken up, but fans aren't quite ready to let go of their relationship -- or the relationship between their "Vampire Diaries" characters, Elena Gilbert and Damon Salvatore. The co-stars, and real-life exes, beat out four other beloved TV couples for the "Favorite Onscreen Chemistry" honor at the 40th Annual People's Choice Awards on Jan. 8.
Taking the stage to accept their trophy, 24-year-old Dobrev and 35-year-old Somerhalder riffed adorably on their shared history. "Wow, this is crazy!" the actor began. "Can you believe this is almost five years in the making?"
"You're right, yeah!" his ex replied. "But you know what's funny, Ian, is that at the beginning of the show, Elena actually hated Damon."
"You were hooking up with my brother!" he retorted, referring to Elena's epic romance with Stefan Salvatore (played by Paul Wesley).
"Well, you killed my brother," she countered.
Eventually, of course, their characters moved past those obstacles and fell in love. As did Somerhalder and Dobrev.
"We started dating in real life," he said.
"And then we broke up in real life," she added.
"And yet our characters are still dating on the show," he continued.
"It's a good thing it's not awkward!" she joked, as the two shuffled away from each other and pretended to look uncomfortably at the floor. Then, amid laughs from the crowd, they held up their trophy and quipped, "It's a good thing we have chemistry!"
Fans roared with approval, and Somerhalder pulled his ex close to give her a kiss on the cheek.
The couple, who took their romance public in 2011, called it quits last May after more than three years of dating. A source told Us Weekly exclusively at the time that they would "continue to work together and remain best friends, which is where the relationship started."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Fresh from their split, Hilary Duff vacations with husband Mike Comrie and their son on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTLiving Apart
From Crowd Ignite