'Octomom' files for bankruptcy, owes $30K in rent
- Photo: Jeff Higgins/Splash News1 of 12
- Photo: Orchon/Retna Digital2 of 12
- Photo: Josephine Santos/Pacific Coast News3 of 12
- Photo: Splash News4 of 12
- Photo: Revolutionpix/Fame Pictures5 of 12
- Photo: Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: Damian Dovarganes/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: TTA Media/Splash News8 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Perkins/Pacific Coast News9 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Perkins/Pacific Coast News10 of 12
- Photo: FOX11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Exclusive: Showtime to Launch Ray Donovan WebisodesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 7:00:00 AM
- The Following's Warren Kole Joins StalkerMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:58:00 AM
- Earnings: Discovery Beats Q2 EstimatesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:55:00 AM
- Iggy Azalea Has a Cameo in Fast & Furious 7MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:39:00 AM
- Time Warner Cable Q2 Earnings Rise, But Miss EstimatesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:33:00 AM
- Exclusive: Showtime to Launch Ray Donovan Webisodes
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) -- "Octomom" Nadya Suleman has filed for bankruptcy, saying in a court filing that she has as much as $1 million in debt.
Suleman wants a fresh start and said in a statement that filing for bankruptcy Monday is what's best for her children, according to the Orange County Register.
"I have had to make some very difficult decisions this year, and filing Chapter 7 was one of them," Suleman said.
The La Habra, Calif.-based mother of 14 reports up to $50,000 in assets in federal court filings, which means she owes more than 20 times her net worth.
Suleman is filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which means a court-appointed trustee would liquidate her assets to pay off creditors before she is discharged from most of her debts.
Among others, Suleman owes money to her father, the city's water department, DirecTV and Whittier Christian School, where at least some of her children are students.
Suleman also owes more than $30,000 in rent payments on her four-bedroom house.
The home's owner, Amer Haddadin, says his own credit has suffered as he allowed the home to go into foreclosure proceedings by not making the mortgage payments.
A foreclosure auction that was scheduled for Monday has been postponed for a week.
RELATED: Celebs Who Come From Money
Suleman was in dire financial straits before the January 2009 birth of her octuplets brought her notoriety.
She lived with her mother in a three-bedroom house in Whittier that was in foreclosure proceedings at the time of the octuplets' birth.
The unemployed single mother had been supporting her six other children with the aid of food stamps and Social Security disability payments — sources of income that she continues to rely on.
Since the birth, she has cut deals with media outlets and posed in tabloid photo spreads to get by, touting a book and exercise videos that never materialized.
She earned $5,000 for promoting spaying and neutering for an animal rights group and was paid to take a beating in celebrity boxing matches.
In 2009, Suleman declined a million-dollar offer to appear in pornography.
Last month, semi-nude photos of Suleman ran alongside a paid interview in a British publication — a photo spread she defended in the tabloids, saying she wasn't ashamed of it.
All of Suleman's children were conceived through in vitro fertility treatments. Her octuplets are the world's longest-surviving set.
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite