Oprah Tops Forbes' 100 Most Powerful Celebrities ListRelated: Beyonce, Madonna, Oprah Winfrey, Lady Gaga, Tiger Woods
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP1 of 4
- Photo: Charles Sykes/AP2 of 4
- Photo: MICHAEL MARIANT/AP3 of 4
More Celeb News
- 'Man of Steel' Trailer: General Zod Warns Earthlings to Surrender SupermanMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 6:25:07 AM
- 'Big Bang Theory,' 'American Horror Story' Lead Critics&aposMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 6:00:16 AM
- Good Morning, Cannes: Liberace Lights Up the HomestretchMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 5:48:14 AM
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing with the StarsMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 8:25:06 PM
- The Wit & Wisdom of 'Modern Family's Gloria Delgado-PritchettMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 7:49:00 PM
- 'Man of Steel' Trailer: General Zod Warns Earthlings to Surrender Superman
Edited by Dorothy Pomerantz and Lacey Rose for Forbes.com:
LOS ANGELES -- Pants-less pop stars, late-night warriors and sexy vampires spiced up the fame game last year, with Lady Gaga, Conan O'Brien and Twilight superstars Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson joining the Forbes Celebrity 100 list for the first time.
But despite their impressive debuts (Gaga hit the list in fourth place), Oprah Winfrey is the year's big winner. After being ousted by Angelina Jolie on last year's list (Jolie dropped to No. 18 this year), the Queen of all Media takes back her crown on Forbes' annual ranking of the world's ultra-famous. Winfrey earned $315 million over the past 12 months.
RELATED ON FORBES: World's 100 Most Powerful Celebrities
Beyonce Knowles climbs two spots to No. 2 on this year's list, raking in $87 million over the course of the year. Her 90-plus date global tour grossed more than $85 million, bolstering a portfolio that includes album sales, her House of Dereon fashion line and a slew of endorsement deals, ranging from Nintendo to L'Oreal. Continuing to expand her business empire beyond music, the female half of hip-hop's most powerful couple also released her first fragrance, Heat, earlier this year.
RELATED ON FORBES: Jonas Brothers Inc.
In at No. 3: director James Cameron. Thanks to the box office success of Avatar, the man who once declared himself "the King of the World" pulled down a hefty $210 million over the last year. Though his 3-D film failed to win the Best Picture Oscar, it broke Cameron's own record by grossing $2.7 billion at the global box office, making it the highest-grossing film ever. (Titanic had rested at the top for 12 years with $1.8 billion.) With the Blu-ray edition of Avatar setting sales records and a sequel in the works, expect Cameron to continue to mint money for years to come.
RELATED ON FORBES: World's Most Powerful Actors
Lady Gaga catapults onto our list, ranking ahead of much more established pop stars like Madonna (No. 10) and U2 (No. 7). She has a 106-date world tour and her willingness to partner with corporations like Virgin Mobile and Polaroid to thank for an estimated $62 million in earnings. What's more, her fame and theatricality have brought her gobs of press coverage, while her music videos have made her something of an Internet sensation. Proof: The fashion-forward rocker ranks first for social media and Web presence among the Forbes Celebrity 100.
RELATED ON FORBES: World's Most Powerful TV Actors & Actresses
Gaga is also the list's top-ranked newcomer, leading a group that includes the Black Eyed Peas ($48 million), O'Brien ($38 million) and Twilight costars Pattinson and Stewart. Pattinson comes in at No. 50 with estimated earnings of $17 million, while Stewart, who is working on fewer non-Twilight projects, comes in at No. 66 with a $12 million haul.
RELATED ON FORBES: World's Most Powerful Personalities
Rounding out the list's top five: golfer Tiger Woods. Despite personal and professional setbacks this year (all negative publicity was extracted from this year's list), the tabloid target still managed to earn $105 million between June 2009 and June 2010. The reality: While his revenue streams have diminished post-scandal (Accenture, AT&T and Pepsi have all dropped Woods as a spokesman), he continues to generate millions from deals with Nike, Electronic Arts and Upper Deck. His golf course design business is also struggling due to the troubled global economy.
Expect to see Woods' income take a sizable dip on next year's list, a byproduct of his tarnished image and the reality of celebrity earnings at large.
RELATED ON FORBES: World's Most Powerful Musicians
The Celebrity 100 is a measure of power based on money and fame. Earnings estimates, which include income from films, television shows, endorsements, books and other entertainment ventures, are calculated between June 2009 and June 2010. Figures were rounded off where appropriate. Additional sources include Billboard, Pollstar, Adams Media Research, The Nielsen Company and SNL Kagan. Fame is calculated using Web hits on Google ( GOOG - news - people ) Blog Search, TV/radio mentions on LexisNexis, overall press mentions on Factiva and the number of times a celebrity's image appeared on the cover of 25 consumer magazines. Social rank is calculated using metrics like Facebook friends and fans as well as Twitter followers.
RELATED ON FORBES: World's Most Powerful Athletes
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite