Oprah Winfrey celebrates 60th birthday, reveals her highest achievement in open letter
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 7
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 7
- Photo: FS2/WENN3 of 7
- Photo: Rex USA4 of 7
- Photo: Newspix/Rex / Rex USA/.5 of 7
- Photo: SJD/ZOJ/WENN6 of 7
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
Oprah Winfrey has reached another milestone! The TV personality turns the big 6-0 today, and to celebrate, she's recalled some of the biggest moments in her life so far in an open, and very heartfelt, letter to those who have stuck by her through the years.
"I'm turning 60. I'm alive. Healthy. Strong," Winfrey wrote in her O, The Oprah magazine (via The Huffington Post.) "I'm turning 60, and -- please don't take offense -- I no longer have to be concerned about what anyone thinks of me! (You know, the old Am I doing it right? Am I saying it right? Am I being what or who I'm 'supposed' to be?) I'm turning 60, and I've earned the right to be just as I am. I'm more secure in being myself than I've ever been."
For years, Winfrey has opened her doors to audiences, interviewed famous and otherwise unknown people until "The Oprah Winfrey Show" ended in 2011, and has continued to connect with people through her OWN Network and magazine. But, as it turns out, she doesn't consider any of these (or even giving a car away to each member in her audience!) as her highest achievement. What is? "Never shutting my heart down," she wrote.
"Even in my darkest moments -- through sexual abuse, a pregnancy at 14, lies and betrayals -- I remained faithful, hopeful, and open to seeing the best in people, regardless of whether they were showing me their worst," the "Butler" actress wrote. "I stayed open to believing that no matter how hard the climb, there is always a way to let in a sliver of light to illuminate the path forward."
She continued: "I approach this milestone, the landmark of 60, with humility, supreme thanksgiving, and joy. Knowing for sure grace has brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home."
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
From Reese Witherspoon to Justin Timberlake, see some of the hottest stars from the south.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite