Oprah Winfrey Finally Comments on Paula Deen's N-Word Controversy
- Photo: SJD/ZOJ/WENN1 of 17
- Photo: Mr. Blue/WENN2 of 17
- Photo: Newspix/Rex / Rex USA/.3 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: GIULIO MARCOCCHI/StarTraks5 of 17
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News6 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA7 of 17
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Rex USA8 of 17
- Photo: Casey Rodgers/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: GIULIO MARCOCCHI/StarTraks10 of 17
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.11 of 17
- Photo: O magazine/Promotional12 of 17
- Photo: Brian Killian/WireImage13 of 17
- Photo: Paul Zimmerman/WireImage14 of 17
- Photo: SETH BROWARNIK/StarTraks15 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&aposMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:24:00 PM
- 8 Things That Will and 2 Things That (Probably) Won't Happen on Big Bang Theory Season 8MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&apos
Oprah Winfrey befriended Paula Deen when she interviewed the butter-loving cook for an episode of "Oprah's Next Chapter" in March 2012. The former talk show host even spent the night at Deen's Georgia home, where the women discussed everything from Deen's financial insecurities to her diabetes diagnosis.
More than a year later, in a videotaped deposition, Deen admitted to once using the N-word in the past. The 66-year-old Southerner was subsequently fired by the Food Network and lost multiple endorsement deals. Until recently, Winfrey had remained silent on her friend's latest controversy.
"In the very first days I tried to reach her, and then I decided to stay out of it as I saw it blowing up," Winfrey, 59, tells "Entertainment Tonight." "In time she will be fine. For me, it all just felt kind of sad."
Winfrey believes people need to let the "dust settle" before they can have a "real conversation" about racism in today's world. While the TV titan hasn't been subjected to racial epithets in years, she has experienced racism in the workplace.
"Nobody in their right mind is going to call me the N-word. You know, you see those fools on Twitter sometime say ridiculous things. But nobody in their right mind is going to do that to my face, because true racism is being able to have power over somebody else," Winfrey explains. "So that doesn't happen to me that way."
"The Butler" star continues, "It shows up for me if I'm in a boardroom or situations where I'm the only woman or I'm the only African American person within a hundred mile radius. I can see in the energy of the people there, they don't sense that I should be holding one of those seats. I can sense that. But I can never tell, 'Is it racism? Is it sexism?'"
When asked to comment about Deen during an interview with "Extra," Winfrey laughed but declined to say anything more about the disgraced TV personality. "Oh my god! I don't have anything to do with Paula Deen," she insisted. "She is not the first white lady to use the N-word! Good lord!"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite