Oprah Winfrey Finally Comments on Paula Deen's N-Word Controversy
- Photo: SJD/ZOJ/WENN1 of 17
- Photo: Mr. Blue/WENN2 of 17
- Photo: Newspix/Rex / Rex USA/.3 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: GIULIO MARCOCCHI/StarTraks5 of 17
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News6 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA7 of 17
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Rex USA8 of 17
- Photo: Casey Rodgers/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: GIULIO MARCOCCHI/StarTraks10 of 17
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.11 of 17
- Photo: O magazine/Promotional12 of 17
- Photo: Brian Killian/WireImage13 of 17
- Photo: Paul Zimmerman/WireImage14 of 17
- Photo: SETH BROWARNIK/StarTraks15 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Jon Klein on His New Online Venture: 'We've Created the Company That I Feared WoulMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:41:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones' Star Kristian Nairn Comes Out: 'I've Been WaitMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:31:00 PM
- Television Academy Announces New Name, Fundraising DriveMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:18:00 PM
- Anne Sweeney Exiting Disney-ABC to Become TV DirectorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:10:00 PM
- Adam Carolla's 'Catch a Contractor' Debut Is Spike's Best in 3 YMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:06:00 PM
- Jon Klein on His New Online Venture: 'We've Created the Company That I Feared Woul
Oprah Winfrey befriended Paula Deen when she interviewed the butter-loving cook for an episode of "Oprah's Next Chapter" in March 2012. The former talk show host even spent the night at Deen's Georgia home, where the women discussed everything from Deen's financial insecurities to her diabetes diagnosis.
More than a year later, in a videotaped deposition, Deen admitted to once using the N-word in the past. The 66-year-old Southerner was subsequently fired by the Food Network and lost multiple endorsement deals. Until recently, Winfrey had remained silent on her friend's latest controversy.
"In the very first days I tried to reach her, and then I decided to stay out of it as I saw it blowing up," Winfrey, 59, tells "Entertainment Tonight." "In time she will be fine. For me, it all just felt kind of sad."
Winfrey believes people need to let the "dust settle" before they can have a "real conversation" about racism in today's world. While the TV titan hasn't been subjected to racial epithets in years, she has experienced racism in the workplace.
"Nobody in their right mind is going to call me the N-word. You know, you see those fools on Twitter sometime say ridiculous things. But nobody in their right mind is going to do that to my face, because true racism is being able to have power over somebody else," Winfrey explains. "So that doesn't happen to me that way."
"The Butler" star continues, "It shows up for me if I'm in a boardroom or situations where I'm the only woman or I'm the only African American person within a hundred mile radius. I can see in the energy of the people there, they don't sense that I should be holding one of those seats. I can sense that. But I can never tell, 'Is it racism? Is it sexism?'"
When asked to comment about Deen during an interview with "Extra," Winfrey laughed but declined to say anything more about the disgraced TV personality. "Oh my god! I don't have anything to do with Paula Deen," she insisted. "She is not the first white lady to use the N-word! Good lord!"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
See some of Duchess Kate's most budget-friendly fashion items.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite